Christopher Michael Bishop (born 7 April 1959) FRS FRSE FREng is the Laboratory Director at Microsoft Research Cambridge, Professor of Computer Science at the University of Edinburgh and a Fellow of Darwin College, Cambridge.
FRS FRSE FREng
Chris Bishop in 2015
|Born||Christopher Michael Bishop
7 April 1959 
|Known for||Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (PRML) book|
|Thesis||The semi-classical technique in field theory: some applications (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Wallace|
Chris obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Physics from St Catherine's College, Oxford, and a PhD in Theoretical Physics from the University of Edinburgh, with a thesis on quantum field theory supervised by David Wallace.
Research and careerEdit
Awards and honoursEdit
Bishop was awarded the Tam Dalyell prize in 2009 and the Rooke Medal from the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2011. He gave the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures in 2008 and the Turing Lecture in 2010. Bishop was elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng) in 2004, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE) in 2007, and Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2017.
- Anon (2015). BISHOP, Prof. Christopher Michael. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.249776. (subscription required)
- Bishop, Christopher M. (2006). Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (PDF). Springer. ISBN 978-0-387-31073-2.
- Royal Institution Christmas Lectures
- Christopher Bishop publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Bishop, Christopher Michael (1983). The semi-classical technique in field theory : some applications. lib.ed.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl:1842/11984. OCLC 59284998. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.346542.
- Anon (2017). "Christopher Bishop". royalsociety.org. London: Royal Society.
- "Microsoft Research Cambridge".
- Bishop, Christopher Michael (1995). Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198538646.
- Tipping, Michael E.; Bishop, Christopher M. (1999). "Probabilistic Principal Component Analysis". Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B. 61 (3): 611–622. doi:10.1111/1467-9868.00196. ISSN 1369-7412.
- Lawrence, Neil (2001). Variational inference in probabilistic models (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- Christopher Bishop at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Tam Dalyell Prize
- Royal Academy of Engineering, Rooke Medal
- "Royal Academy of Engineering". Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Professor Christopher M Bishop FREng FRSE, FRS - The Royal Society of Edinburgh". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 2018-02-01.