Christine Jones (scenic designer)
Christine Jones is an American scenic designer on Broadway. Her best-known designs include Spring Awakening and American Idiot. In 2010, she created an experimental, two-week project called Theatre for One in which one actor performs for one audience member. It was repeated in 2010. She is a professor at New York University and a Lecturer at Princeton University.
|Education||Concordia University (BFA)|
New York University (MFA)
|Occupation||Scenic designer, professor|
After graduating from the Creative Arts, Literature and Languages program at Marianopolis College in 1985, Jones earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts in Design for Theatre at Concordia University in 1989. She later earned her Master of Fine Arts at New York University.
Jones has designed for many productions Off-Broadway:
- Mr. Fox
- Burn This
- Debbie Does Dallas
- First Love
- Flesh And Blood
- Much Ado About Nothing
- People Be Heard
- The Onion Cellar
- True Love
Jones made her Broadway scenic design debut in 2000 with her design for The Green Bird, directed by Julie Taymor. Jones designed the set for the 2007 Tony Award-winning musical Spring Awakening. She was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Scenic Design but lost to Bob Crowley for Mary Poppins. Jones designed the set for the 2010 musical American Idiot, for which she earned her first Tony Award. Jones has said, "It's just great to be recognized for doing something that you love, with people you love."  Jones also designed the set for the 2011 musical revival of "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" starring Harry Connick Jr. and the 2016 production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in London's West-End.
|2015||Let the Right One In||Drama Desk Award||Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Set Design||Nominated|
|n/a||Obie Award||Sustained Excellence in Set Design||Won|
|2010||American Idiot||Tony Award||Tony Award for Best Scenic Design in a Musical||Won|
|2007||Spring Awakening||Tony Award||Tony Award for Best Scenic Design in a Musical||Nominated|
|2000||The Green Bird||Drama Desk Award||Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Set Design||Nominated|
- "Profile: Christine Jones - Tony-winning designer for American Idiot". The Charlebois Post - Canada. 26 December 2011. Archived from the original on 14 August 2016. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Cote, David (1 May 2015). "The most intimate play you'll ever see: Theatre for One returns to New York". Time Out New York. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Christine Jones" tisch.nyu.edu
-  Archived 2011-07-06 at the Wayback Machine concordia.ca
- 2015 Winners obieawards.com
- "2007 Tony Award Winners". www.broadwayworld.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-05-22. Retrieved 2010-05-16.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2017-08-06.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Jones, Kenneth (6 October 2011). "Tony Winner Christine Jones Will Design On a Clear Day; Kerry O'Malley, Drew Gehling Among Cast". Playbill. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Brantley, Ben (11 December 2011). "Reincarnation All Over Again". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Barraclough, Leo (26 June 2015). "Harry Potter Play to Open in London Next Year". Variety. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Finnan, Jack (6 June 2016). "Harry Potter And 'The Cursed Child' - Everything We Know About The Eighth Story And West-End Play". New Musical Express (NME). Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-23. Retrieved 2010-05-16.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)