Christian Science Center
The Christian Science Center is a 13.5-acre (5.5 ha) site on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Huntington Avenue in the Fenway neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. A popular tourist attraction, the center is owned by the Church of Christ, Scientist (the Christian Science church), which refers to it as Christian Science Plaza.:1 The complex, including most of the landscape was designated as a Boston Landmark by the Boston Landmarks Commission in 2011.
The Christian Science Center comprises 10.4 acres (4.2 ha) of open space, a 690 x 100 ft (210 x 30 m) reflecting pool, a children's fountain, and six buildings:
- The First Church of Christ, Scientist, 250 Massachusetts Avenue, consisting of two buildings: the original Mother Church (1894) and the Church Extension (1906).
- Christian Science Publishing House (1934), 200–210 Massachusetts Avenue, built for the Christian Science Publishing Society, and now also housing the Mary Baker Eddy Library, Mapparium, The Christian Science Monitor and the church's administrative staff.
- Three buildings, designed by Araldo Cossutta of I. M. Pei & Associates, constructed when the site was extended in the 1970s:
- Reflection Hall, the former Sunday School building (1971), 235 Huntington Avenue, at one end of the reflecting pool.
- The Colonnade building (1972), 101 Belvidere Street.
- 177 Huntington Avenue, formerly the Administration Building (1972). This 26-story building housed the church's administrative staff until 2008, when they moved to Christian Science Publishing House. The building is now leased out as office space.
Assessed value (2011)Edit
The center is split into five parcels of land, which were owned directly or beneficially by the board of directors of the Church of Christ, Scientist, as of 2011[update]. According to the City of Boston Landmarks Commission, the land consists of:
- Parcel 40116200: Mother Church (land value: $7,350,900);
- Parcel 040116400: plaza to the west of the church (land value: $5,446,900);
- Parcel 0401185000: Publishing House (land value: $9,805,700; building value: $6,617,300);
- Parcel 0401150000: plaza, reflecting pool, administration building, colonnade building, Sunday School building (land value: $35,541,700; building value: $42,766,500);
- Parcel 0401180000: lawn east and west of the Mother Church, and part of the church (land value: $5,961,700.00; building value: $19,336,600).
- "Christian Science Center Complex", Boston Landmarks Commission, Environment Department, City of Boston, 25 January 2011 (hereafter Boston Landmarks Commission 2011).
- Boston Landmarks Commission 2011, pp. 1, 5–6, 18.
- "Christian Science Plaza Revitalization Project Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC)", Boston Redevelopment Authority.
- Boston Landmarks Commission 2011, p. 72.