Christian Stanford Bergman (born May 4, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is currently a free agent. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Colorado Rockies and Seattle Mariners.
|Born: May 4, 1988|
|June 9, 2014, for the Colorado Rockies|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||5.59|
Bergman attended St. Francis High School in La Canada, California, where he pitched and also played shortstop and third base. As a senior, Bergman went 10-2 with a 1.54 ERA, and also batted .343. After high school, Bergman attended the University of California, Irvine. As a freshman, Bergman went 0-4 with a 4.98 ERA. Bergman improved as a sophomore, going 5-2, compiling a 1.94 ERA, and a 0.64 ERA in conference play. During his junior season, Bergman held a record of 9-3 and had an ERA of 3.50. Bergman also went 9-3 with a 3.72 ERA as a senior.
Bergman was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 24th round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft out of University of California, Irvine. He was called up on June 9, 2014, and made his major league debut the same day. He got his first career win August 24, 2014 vs. the Miami Marlins. He pitched 6 1/3 innings and gave up 4 runs. The Rockies won the game 7-4. Bergman started 10 games for the Rockies, going 3-5 with a 5.93 ERA.
In 2015, Bergman pitched mainly out of the bullpen while also spot starting in 4 games for the Rockies.
Seattle Mariners (second stint)Edit
On April 15, 2019, Bergman signed with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. The following day, prior to the start of the ALPB season, his contract was purchased by the Seattle Mariners. He was released on May 30, 2019.
Sugar Land SkeetersEdit
- Gordon, Grant (June 9, 2010). "Bergman has a 'pretty big day'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Groke, Nick (June 7, 2014). "Christian Bergman to get call-up to pitch for Rockies on Monday, replacing Jordan Lyles". Denver Post. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Floyd pitches Braves past Rockies 3-1". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 9, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- Eddy, Matt (December 5, 2016). "Minor League Transactions: Nov. 19-Dec. 1". baseballamerica.com. Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- Todd, Jeff (October 8, 2018). "Players Electing Free Agency". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- "Cubs Prospects on Twitter".
- "Seattle Mariners Purchase Contract of RHP Christian Bergman". April 16, 2019.