Chris White (politician)
Christopher Mark Francis White (born 28 April 1967 in Australia) is a British Conservative Party politician and was the Member of Parliament (MP) for Warwick and Leamington from 2010 to 2017. He lost the seat at the 2017 general election. White is currently Director of the Institute for Industrial Strategy at King's College London.
|Member of Parliament |
for Warwick and Leamington
6 May 2010 – 8 June 2017
|Preceded by||James Plaskitt|
|Succeeded by||Matt Western|
|Born||28 April 1967|
|Alma mater||University of Manchester |
University of Bath
White was educated at the state comprehensive St. Gregory's Catholic School, Tunbridge Wells, followed by the University of Manchester, where he obtained a BEng in Engineering, and an MBA from the University of Bath.
White contested Birmingham Hall Green in the 2001 general election, then Warwick and Leamington in the 2005 general election. In May 2008 he was elected to Warwick District Council. In the 2010 general election, he received 20,876 votes to Labour's James Plaskitt's 17,363 votes, a margin of 3,513 votes. White had a notional swing of 8.8%. He held the seat in the 2015 general election with an increased vote of 24,249 and 47.9% of the vote, leading to a majority of 6,606 votes over Labour's Lynnette Kelly.
White proposed the Public Services (Social Value) Act 2012 in 2010 as a private member's bill, aiming to ensure that public sector procurement should take into account wider value to the community provided by suppliers. The bill, which purported to help social enterprises win more public services contracts, was supported by the government and became law in 2013 He was subsequently named as a "Social Value Ambassador" by the government, but was dismissed from the role four months later following rebelling on a vote to intervene militarily in Syria.
- "Democracy Live — Your representatives — Chris White". BBC. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "No. 61230". The London Gazette. 18 May 2015. p. 9126.
- "Biography for Chris White". MyParliament.
- "BBC News Election 2017 Results Warwick and Leamington". 9 June 2017.
- "Candidate Profile: Chris White". Leamington Courier. 30 April 2010. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- "Our board – Policy Connect". www.policyconnect.org.uk.
- "Chris White MP". Conservatives.com.
- "Public Services (Social Enterprise and Social Value) Bill". 19 November 2010. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Significant boost to social enterprises as the Social Value Act comes into force". Gov.uk Press Release. 31 January 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "First official Social Value Ambassador announced". Gov.uk Press Release. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Goodenough, Tom (16 February 2016). "Which Tory MPs back Brexit, who doesn't and who is still on the fence?". The Spectator. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Chris White MP elected as Chair". House of Commons. UK Parliament. 10 February 2016. Retrieved 5 November 2016.
- Cahal Milmo (10 March 2016). "Saudi Arabia's use of British weapons in Yemen to be investigated by Parliamentary commission". The Independent. Retrieved 5 November 2016.
- Official website
- Chris White MP Conservative Party profile
- Chris White's page at the Warwick and Leamington Conservatives
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Warwick and Leamington