Christopher Pang is an Australian actor and producer of Chinese descent. He is best known for his role as Colin Khoo in Crazy Rich Asians (2018) and Lee Takkam in Tomorrow, When the War Began (2010).
29 December 1984
Pang was born in Melbourne, Australia and is the son of Wing Chun instructors. His paternal grandparents are from Canton, China while his father, Barry, was born and raised in Australia. His mother, Anne, is also of Chinese descent, but was born in Taiwan and migrated to Australia in the 1970s.
Pang is distantly related to Bruce Lee as Lee's father was cousins with Pang's paternal grandmother and both came from the same village in Canton. Through his mother's side, Pang is a descendant to Wong Nai Siong, the Chinese revolutionary leader, Christian reformer and humanitarian who was key in the Fujian province in overthrowing the propaganda machine of the late Qing Dynasty.
He later enrolled in a university and majored in multimedia studies. Unsatisfied with his studies, he later took a year off and sold phones to businesses before going into acting.
Pang is fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese. He currently lives in Los Angeles.
While selling phones, Pang began his career incidentally after walking into a casting agency who were looking for a performer to do a Chinese accent for a voice over, Pang booked the role dubbing as Jackie Chan's brother in New Police Story 4. This led him to become an actor.
He temporarily migrated to Beijing and Hong Kong to pursue an acting career. His big break would come in 2010, booking one of the lead roles in Australian film adaptation of the young adult dystopian novel Tomorrow, When the War Began and would star opposite Caitlin Stasey, the film was a box office success in Australia. Later he acted in the feature film Citizen Jia Li.
Despite the success of Tomorrow, he received little traction and in 2013 moved to Hollywood to further pursue his acting career. He reunited with his Tomorrow co-star Caitlin Stasey in I, Frankenstein. In 2016, he appeared in the martial arts film Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny, in which he played the character Flying Blade. He also recurred in the season two of drama series Marco Polo.
In 2018, he co-starred in the film adaptation Crazy Rich Asians, directed by Jon M. Chu and starring Constance Wu, Michelle Yeoh and Henry Golding. He portrayed Colin Khoo. He later produced and starred in the Manila-set independent film Empty by Design alongside Osric Chau and Filipina actress Rhian Ramos. Empty by Design was his first feature film as a producer.
In October 2018, it was announced he joined the cast of the 2019 reboot and continuation of Charlie's Angels, directed by Elizabeth Banks, in an undisclosed role. In June 2019, he was cast in Jason Katims' pilot for Amazon Studios.
|2010||Tomorrow, When the War Began||Lee Takkam|
|2011||Citizen Jia Li||Kong||Also Associate Producer|
|2013||California Dreaming||Lin Feng||Short|
|Fist of the Dragon||Sin|
|2015||Superfast!||Cool Asian guy|
|2016||Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny||Flying Blade|
|2018||Crazy Rich Asians||Colin Khoo|
|2019||Empty by Design||Jun Jie||Also Producer|
|Charlie's Angels||Jonny Smith|
|2010||City Homicide||Phuong Lam||Episode: "Pirates"|
5 episodes (Season 2)
|Jason Katims Untitled Series||Van||Main cast|
- Asians On Film "Best Actor", 2013
- "The Mule - Q & A with Angus Sampson, Leigh Whannell, Georgina Haig and Chris Pang". Australians in Film. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Introducing the cast: Kevin (Lincoln Lewis), Robyn (Ashleigh Cummings), Lee (Chris Pang)". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Marco Polo's Chris Pang: Wingchun Looks Like Crap!". FansTang. 11 December 2016.
- "Barry Pang | Elwood College". www.elwood.vic.edu.au. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "The Barry and Anne Pang Collection". A Turf Fascination. 13 October 2015. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "The Project". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "Chris Pang: Upcoming Crazy Rich Asian and Certified Haiku Hottie". TaiwaneseAmerican.org. 2 February 2018. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- Yamato, Jen. "'Crazy Rich Asians': Aussie Chris Pang's unlikely journey to one of the most buzzed-about films of 2018 - Los Angeles Times". latimes.com. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "Tomorrow, When the War Began -- Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Tomorrow, When the War Began: Casting". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Q&A – Chris Pang". Peril Australia. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Christopher Pang". Hollywood.com. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "'Crazy Rich Asians' Adds Awkwafina". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (20 August 2018). "Danny Pudi Set For 'Babysplitters'; 'Crazy Rich Asians' Star Chris Pang Joins Osric Chau In 'Empty By Design'". Deadline. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (23 October 2018). "'Charlie's Angels' Reboot Adds Nat Faxon, Chris Pang (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- Petski, Denise; Petski, Denise (12 June 2019). "Jason Katims' Amazon Pilot Sets Series-Regular Cast". Deadline. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "Tomorrow When the War Began Now Casting for TV". Moviepilot. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Citizen Jia Li". If Magazine. Archived from the original on 7 July 2015. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Instagram post by Constance Wu • Apr 25, 2017 at 6:45am UTC". Instagram. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Best Actor Chris Pang (Citizen Jia Li)". Asians On Film. Archived from the original on 14 July 2015. Retrieved 6 July 2015.