Christopher Andrew March (February 25, 1963 – September 5, 2019) was an American fashion and costume designer, best known for his appearance as a contestant on season 4 (2007–2008) of Bravo's Project Runway.
|Born||February 25, 1963|
Alameda, California, U.S.
|Died||September 5, 2019 (aged 56)|
Stockton, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Fashion and costume designer|
He was also on season 4 (2014–2015) of Project Runway All Stars, finishing in 12th place. Additionally, he competed in the one-shot special Project Runway: All-Star Challenge (2009), and was the third runner-up.
Born on February 25, 1963, March was originally from Alameda, California, where he worked as a costume designer for the Long-running musical revue, Beach Blanket Babylon. During the fourth season finale of Project Runway, March, who had become popular with avant-garde creations, gained notoriety when he showcased human hair on his designs. In the end, however, he was eliminated from showcasing at Bryant Park during New York Fashion Week. His client list included Madonna, Cirque du Soleil, Prince, Beyoncé Knowles (he constructed the costumes for her I Am... Tour), Lady Gaga, Thierry Mugler and Meryl Streep. His costuming efforts were recognized with a Drama Desk Award nomination in 2002 for Christmas With the Crawfords.
Accident and deathEdit
In June of 2017, March fell and hit his head in his apartment. After laying there unconscious for four days, he was able to wake up and call 911 after which he was rushed to the hospital. After his admission, staff were forced to put him into a medically induced coma for the next two months. Upon being re-awoken, March discovered that he'd lost functionality in both legs as well as in his right hand and arm.
Subsequently he returned to his home state of California and was admitted into a long-term care facility in Stockton, California in hopes of recovering, in which he'd continued designing dresses up until the very end.
On Thursday September 5, 2019, Chris March died in the care facility at 1:45 PM of a heart attack.
- Odell, Amy (2009-08-28). "Chris March Is Suing Thierry Mugler Over Beyoncé's Costumes". The Cut Blog. New York Magazine. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- Odell, Amy (2011-10-24). "Chris March Talks Halloween, Dressing Lady Gaga, and More". The Cut Blog. New York Magazine. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "The Dish on Meryl Streep's Oscar Gown — Designed by 'Project Runway' Alum Chris March!". Style Watch Blog. People Magazine. March 8, 2010. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Meryl Streep's Surprising Dress Designer: 'Project Runway' Alum Chris March!". Style Watch Blog. People Magazine. Jan 19, 2010. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- "Chris March's Return to Bravo Imminent; See Rico's Latest Editorial". The Cut Blog. New York Magazine. 2011-03-14. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- Odell, Amy (2010-10-13). "Chris March is Getting His Own Reality Show". The Cut Blog. New York Magazine. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- TMZ project-runway-chris-march-dies-56
- Chris March, Fashion Designer and ‘Project Runway’ Season 4 Contestant, Dies at 56