Chris Mann (singer)
|Birth name||Christopher Michael Mann|
|Born||May 5, 1982|
Wichita, Kansas, U.S.
|Genres||Opera, adult contemporary, pop, operatic pop|
|Labels||Universal Republic, Republic|
|Associated acts||Phantom of the Opera|
After spending two years on stage as The Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera, Chris Mann will return to the stage in an all-new production, The Voice: Neon Dreams. His album, Constellation, was released on May 6, 2016. He came in fourth on the second season of NBC's television singing competition The Voice in 2012. Mann came in first on Team Christina Aguilera and represented her in the final round.
After graduating in 2000 from Wichita Southeast High School in Wichita, Kansas, Mann attended Vanderbilt University. He graduated from Vanderbilt's Blair School of Music in 2004, with a degree in vocal performance. Mann was a member of the Sigma Nu Fraternity where his pledge name was Buttercup.
After graduation, Mann was cast in an Italian opera in Europe. After moving to Los Angeles, he obtained numerous studio and group singing gigs, including Dalton Academy "Warbler #6" on an episode of Glee, the Sundance Film Festival, and the AFI Life Achievement Award 2010.
His studio work has been featured in the film Avatar, Glee: The 3D Concert Movie, Letters to Juliet, Tangled, Sex and the City 2, The Smurfs, 2012 and The Philanthropist. His recording of "L.O.V.E." was featured in a commercial for season two of Khloé & Lamar, and he has recorded music with Heather Headley, performed with Katharine McPhee, and toured with India.Arie and Idina Menzel.
Mann participated in the season two of the singing reality show The Voice, ultimately placing fourth, behind winner Jermaine Paul, runner-up Juliet Simms, and third-place finisher Tony Lucca. He was initially chosen by judges Christina Aguilera and Cee Lo Green after singing Andrea Bocelli's "Because We Believe (Ama Credi E Vai)". He chose to be part of Team Christina Aguilera, on whose team he had hoped to be selected from the start.
He advanced to the live shows by defeating Monique Benabou in a duet of "The Power of Love". In his first live show, he performed "Bridge over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel, which earned him a pass to the next round by public vote. During the quarter-finals, he covered "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay, and was again selected for advancement to the semi-finals by public vote. He advanced to the finals, edging out Lindsey Pavao, after singing "Ave Maria".
For the finale, he soloed "You Raise Me Up", sang "The Prayer" in a duet with Aguilera, and covered Aguilera's "The Voice Within". During the final results show, Mann performed "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by The Verve for his final performance with previously eliminated semi-finalists Pavao and Katrina Parker. Mann consistently received praise from the other coaches; Cee Lo Green called Mann's voice "incomparable", while Blake Shelton called Mann a "powerhouse" and a "really strong singer".
Performances and resultsEdit
|Episode||Round||Song||Original artist||Order #||Result|
|1||The Blind Auditions||"Because We Believe (Ama Credi E Vai)"||Andrea Bocelli||5||Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera turned|
Joined Team Christina
|6||Battle Rounds||duet "The Power of Love" with Monique Benabou||Jennifer Rush||3||Saved by Coach|
|10||Live Rounds||"Bridge Over Troubled Water"||Simon & Garfunkel||2||Saved by Public Vote|
|14||Live Quarter-Final||"Viva la Vida"||Coldplay||8||Saved by Public Vote|
|18||Live Semi-Final||"Ave Maria"||No original artist. Written by Franz Schubert||3||Saved by Public Vote|
|duet "The Prayer" with Christina Aguilera||Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli||3||Fourth Place|
|"The Voice Within"||Christina Aguilera||5|
|"You Raise Me Up"||Secret Garden||9|
Mann was planning on releasing a Christmas EP before releasing his full-length studio album. The EP was released three weeks before the October 30, 2012, release of his debut studio album, Roads. While the EP was a Walmart exclusive the album's songs were later released as singles in iTunes.
Shortly after the release of his album and Christmas EP, Mann recorded a PBS concert special titled "Chris Mann in Concert: A Mann for all Seasons". The special premiered on WTVS on December 14 and became available for purchase on DVD and CD shortly after that. The special will air nationwide on March 2013.
While preparing for the second leg of the tour to promote Roads Mann announced he also recorded a Christmas special for PBS. The special, titled "Home for Christmas: The Chris Mann Christmas Special" will premiere on WTVS on August 17.
The Phantom of the OperaEdit
Mann toured for two years with the North American Tour of The Phantom of the Opera, in which he plays the lead role of the Phantom. The 2015/2016 tour kicked off on May 27, 2015 at the ASU Gammage Theatre in Tempe, Arizona, USA.
The Voice Vegas: Neon DreamsEdit
Chris will be joining an all-star cast of vocalists from the Emmy-winning NBC show The Voice, led by season ten winner Alisan Porter, Mary Sarah (season 10), Matthew Schuler (season five), and Matt McAndrew (season seven), and backed by a versatile band led by Michael Sanchez, that together play more than 50 instruments. Staged in a brand new custom theater at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino THE VOICE: NEON DREAMS opens in Spring 2018.
|Chris Mann discography|
|Other charted songs||2|
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Chris Mann in Concert: A Mann for all Seasons||–||–||–|
|US Adult Contemporary|
|2012||"Unless You Mean It"||–||Roads|
|2012||"O Come All Ye Faithful"||20||Home For Christmas - EP|
Other charted songsEdit
|2012||"You Raise Me Up"||102
|"The Prayer" (featuring Christina Aguilera)||85
|2017||"I Wanna (One Dance) With Somebody"||–||–||–||–|
|2012||Home for Christmas||12|
As featured performerEdit
|2012||"Redlight" (featuring Amiena)||–||Amiena - EP|
- Neil, Denise (May 8, 2012). "Wichita Native Chris Mann Places Fourth on 'The Voice'". The Wichita Eagle. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Neil, Denise (May 4, 2012). "Chris Mann, on Verge of Super Stardom, Thankful for Wichita Fans". The Wichita Eagle. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Whittlesey, Kristin (February 7, 2012). "Alumnus Competing on NBC's 'The Voice'. Vanderbilt University. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- [dead link] "Chris Mann – The Voice (Season 2) Profile Archived 2012-05-09 at the Wayback Machine. NBC.
- [dead link] "Warbler #6 Archived May 10, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. chrismannmusic.com.
- [dead link] "AFI Lifetime Achievement Awards" Archived October 13, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. chrismannmusic.com.
- [dead link] . chrismannmusic.com.
- Loo, Jonathan (January 24, 2012). "Tuesday Tunes: Chris Mann 'L.O.V.E." Archived 2016-02-03 at the Wayback Machine. Kenton Magazine. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Staff (May 8, 2012). "Jermaine Paul Wins 'The Voice' Season 2 And Justin Bieber Performs 'Boyfriend'. The Huffington Post. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Burzynski, Andrea (May 8, 2012). "'The Voice' Set to Crown a Winner". Reuters. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Etkin, Jaimie; Furlong, Maggie (May 8, 2012). "'The Voice' Season 2: 12 Most Memorable, Shocking, Envelope-Pushing Moments". The Huffington Post. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Mitchell, John (May 7, 2012). "Who Is 'The Voice'? Tony, Juliet, Jermaine and Chris Duke It Out – Final Four Also Perform with Their Judges Before the Winner Is Chosen Tuesday Night". MTV News. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Andres, Craig (March 5, 2012). "Wichitan Chris Mann Has Big Win on National TV"[permanent dead link]. KSNW. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Gallo, Phil (July 27, 2012). "Exclusive: 'Voice' Finalist Chris Mann Records Christmas Album". Billboard. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- Ford, Rebecca (July 27, 2012). "Former 'Voice' Contestant Chris Mann Releasing Christmas Album". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- https://secure2.convio.net/dptv/site/Ecommerce/1415571230?VIEW_PRODUCT=true&product_id=24982&store_id=1141&cmpgn=slider[permanent dead link]
- Music, Chris Mann. "@LACUfan my @pbs will air nationwide in march..."
- Music, Chris Mann. "My @PBS Christmas special premieres Saturday on @detroitpublictv! Get the deets over on @findery!".
- "Cast - The Phantom of the Opera - On Tour".
- "Tickets - The Phantom of the Opera - On Tour".
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (2017-11-01). "'The Voice: Neon Dreams' Set To Open In Las Vegas With Former Contestants". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-11-22.
- Adult Contemporary Chart History
- O Come All Ye Faithful - Single on iTunes Archived December 31, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "Hot Digital Songs (26/05/2012)". Billboard.
- "Home for Christmas (EP) - Walmart.com". Walmart.com.
- "Amiena - EP by Amiena on Apple Music". itunes.apple.com.
- "Amiena". facebook.com.
- "The Voice Finalist Chris Mann Marries Laura Perloe".
- "Fiesta Wedding at Maravilla Gardens".
- "Instagram post by Chris Mann Music • May 16, 2017 at 11:06pm UTC". Instagram.
- "Instagram post by Chris Mann Music • Sep 9, 2017 at 10:00pm UTC". Instagram.