Cholargos (Greek: Χολαργός), or Holargos, is a suburb of Athens, Greece, located northeast of the city center and about 6 kilometers (3.7 miles) away from Syntagma Square. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Papagou-Cholargos, of which it is the seat and a municipal unit. The municipal unit has an area of 3.950 km2. The main thoroughfare is Mesogeion Avenue, which connects Cholargos with central Athens and the northern beltway Motorway 6.
|Regional unit||North Athens|
|• Municipal unit||3.950 km2 (1.525 sq mi)|
|Elevation||202 m (663 ft)|
|• Municipal unit||30,840|
|• Municipal unit density||7,800/km2 (20,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
155 61, 155 62
|Area code(s)||210 65|
|Vehicle registration||I, Y, Z|
Cholargos was the name of a deme of ancient Attica. The most prominent citizen of ancient Cholargos was Pericles. Cholargos was part of the community of Chalandri until 1933, when it became a separate community. It became a municipality in 1963.
Government and infrastructureEdit
The headquarters of the Ministry of Infrastructure, Transport and Networks are in Cholargos.
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior ‹See Tfd›(in Greek)
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-21.
- "EETAA local government changes". Archived from the original on 2016-11-07. Retrieved 2016-11-07.
- "Contact." Ministry of Infrastructure, Transport and Networks. Retrieved on 16 January 2013. "Addr 2, Anastaseos Str and Tsigante, Postal Code 101 91, Cholargos (next to metro station "Ethniki Amina")" - Address in Greek: "Διεύθυνση Αναστάσεως 2 και Τσιγάντε, Τ.Κ 101 91, Παπάγου (δίπλα στη στάση του μετρό "Εθνική Άμυνα")"