Choire Sicha (born November 19, 1971) is an American writer and blogger. As of September 2017, he became the editor of The New York Times Styles section. Previously, he served as Vox Media's director of partner platforms, co-editor at Gawker, and a co-founder of The Awl.
|Born||November 19, 1971|
|Occupation||Writer, editor, blogger|
His name is pronounced "KOR-ee SEE-kuh".
Sicha began his writing career as an editor for Gawker, The New York Observer, and Radar Online. He launched The Awl in April 2009, with Alex Balk and David Cho, out of his East Village apartment, after Radar magazine folded. The website, described as a "irreverent, all-purpose, media/culture/politics/think-piece/bear-video clusterfuck" by GQ, is based in downtown Brooklyn. Sicha published his first book, Very Recent History: An Entirely Factual Account of a Year (c. AD 2009) in a Large City in 2013.
In February 2016, Vox Media hired Sicha as its director of partner platforms to oversee the media company's approach to platforms like Facebook's Instant Articles, Snapchat's Discover feature, and Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages initiative.
- Hiltner, Stephen (26 October 2017). "What Constitutes Style? Choire Sicha, Our New Styles Editor, Answers Your Questions". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Gregory, Alice (13 August 2013). "Choire Sicha, the Anti-Blogger". The New Yorker. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "Why are the most important people in media reading The Awl?". The Verge. 2015-07-09. Retrieved 2015-07-20.
- Moses, Lucia (27 April 2016). "Vox Media's Choire Sicha is the unlikely platform wrangler". Digiday. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "The Definitive Interview with Choire Sicha, Editor of The Awl, on the State of the Media, Writing, and New York". GQ. 2010. Retrieved 2015-07-20.
- "The Awl and the Rise of Downtown Brooklyn". Brooklyn Magazine. 2014-06-04. Retrieved 2015-07-20.
- Alpert, Lukas I. (17 February 2016). "Vox Hires Choire Sicha to Oversee Partnerships With Facebook, Snapchat". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 17 January 2018.