Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company
Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Co. is an ice cream company based in Madison, Wisconsin that manufactures and distributes super-premium ice cream, frozen yogurt, Italian ice, soy ice cream, and no sugar added ice cream.
|Founder||Chuck Sr. & Nancy Deadman|
Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company was founded in 1962 by Chuck Sr. and Nancy Deadman as a candy and ice cream shop in Madison, Wisconsin. The original shop was called Chocolate House Candy and Ice Cream, and served candies purchased from Chocolate House of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and 19 flavors of homemade super-premium ice cream. The company expanded by opening additional locations in the Madison area, and selling ice cream to local restaurants and businesses. In the 1970s the company focused in on the ice cream business by ceasing their candy sales, building an ice cream manufacturing plant at 2221 Daniels St., Madison, WI and changing the company name to Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company.
Today, Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream is run by the founders' two sons, Chuck Jr. and Dave Deadman. The company owns a manufacturing plant and three ice cream shoppes in Madison, manufactures over 100 ice cream flavors, and distributes product to over 300 independently owned ice cream parlors and businesses across the country.
Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream produces super-premium ice cream with 14% butterfat content and 35% overrun (air). All the ice cream is kosher certified and made with rBGH-free cream and this includes known flavors such as all natural "Zanzibar Chocolate" ice cream made with three kinds of cocoa, and for their unconventional flavors such as "Fat Elvis" made with banana ice cream, a peanut butter ripple and chocolate chunks, and "Scotch Ale Caramel Crunch" made with scotch ale ice cream, caramel and heath pieces.
- Carlson, J. (2011, August 1). Chocolate shoppe ice cream. Madison magazine, 27, 24-25. Retrieved from http://www.joomag.com/magazine/mom_aug11/0065172001310676838
- Carlson, J. (2012, October 16). Longevity in business: After 50 years, we all scream for chocolate shoppe ice cream. Wisconsin State Journal. Retrieved from http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/longevity-in-business-after-years-we-all-scream-for-chocolate/article_1e8bcb64-170d-11e2-8078-0019bb2963f4.html
- Carlson, J. (2011, May 23). What i do: He has the scoop on quality at chocolate shoppe. Wisconsin State Journal. Retrieved from http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/what-i-do-he-has-the-scoop-on-quality-at/article_9ea8c61c-8578-11e0-b6be-001cc4c002e0.html
- Wendt-Kaisler, S., (Director). (2012). News 3 This Morning. September 21. Madison: TV 3. Retrieved from http://video.channel3000.com/watch.php?id=44444
- Roggensack, K. (2012, November 14). Local ice cream arrives on uwgb campus. Fourth Estate. Retrieved from http://www.fourthestatenewspaper.com/life/2012/11/14/local-ice-cream-arrives-on-uwgb-campus/
- Pohl, K. (2012, June 15). Music meets sweets at new downtown palatine ice cream shop. Daily Herald. Retrieved from http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120615/news/706159699/