Chinese Buddhist canon
The Chinese Buddhist Canon refers to the total body of Buddhist literature deemed canonical in Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese Buddhism. The traditional term for the canon (Chinese: 大藏經; pinyin: Dàzàngjīng; Japanese: 大蔵経 Daizōkyō; Korean: 대장경 Daejanggyeong; Vietnamese: Đại tạng kinh)."
There are many versions of the canon in East Asia in different places and time. An early version is the Fangshan Stone Sutras (房山石經) from the 7th century. The earlier Lung Tripitaka (龍藏), Jiaxing Tripitaka (嘉興藏), and Zhaocheng Jin Tripitaka[better source needed] are still completely extant in printed form. The complete woodblocks are the Tripiṭaka Koreana and the Chenlong Tripitaka. The Tripiṭaka Koreana or Palman Daejanggyeong was carved between 1236 and 1251, during Korea's Goryeo Dynasty, onto 81,340 wooden printing blocks with no known errors in the 52,382,960 characters. It is stored at the Haeinsa temple, South Korea.
One of the most used version is Taishō Shinshū Daizōkyō (Taishō Tripiṭaka, 大正新脩大藏經). Named after the Taishō era, a modern standardized edition originally published in Tokyo between 1924 and 1934 in 100 volumes. It is also one of the most completely punctuated tripitaka.
The Xuzangjing (卍續藏) version, which is a supplement of another version of the canon, is often used as a supplement for Buddhist texts not collected in the Taishō Tripiṭaka. The Jiaxing Tripitaka is a supplement for Ming dynasty and Qing dynasty Buddhist texts not collected, and a Dazangjing Bu Bian (大藏經補編) published in 1986 are supplements of them.
The Chinese Manuscripts in the Tripitaka Sinica (中華大藏經–漢文部份 Zhonghua Dazangjing: Hanwen bufen), a new collection of canonical texts, was published by Zhonghua Book Company in Beijing in 1983-97, with 107 volumes of literature, are photocopies of early versions and include many newly unearthed scriptures from Dunhuang. There are newer Tripitaka Sinica projects.
Mostly written in Classical Chinese. The Mi Tripitaka (蕃大藏經) is the Tangut canon. Eric Grinstead published a collection of Tangut Buddhist texts under the title The Tangut Tripitaka in 1971 in New Delhi. The Taishō edition contains classical Japanese works. The Dunhuang edition contains some works in old Western Regions languages. The Tripitaka Sinica mentioned above features a Tibetan section.
A number of apocryphal sutras composed in China are excluded in the earlier canons, such as composed stories the Journey to the West and Chinese folk religion texts, and High King Avalokiteshvara Sutra. Modern religious and scholarly works are also excluded but they are published in other book series.
- Han, Yongun; Yi, Yeongjae; Gwon, Sangro (2017). Tracts on the Modern Reformation of Korean Buddhism. Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism (published September 20, 2017).
- Storch, Tanya (2014). The History of Chinese Buddhist Bibliography: Censorship and Transformation. Cambria Press (published March 25, 2014).
- 房山石经的拓印与出版 Archived 2010-12-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Zhao cheng jin zang" 趙城金藏 [Zhaocheng Jin Tripitaka]. Chinese Wikipedia (in Chinese). Retrieved 2018-05-08.
Translated Summary: Over 5,347 scrolls of the original 7,000 plus scrolls have survived to date.
- Centre, UNESCO World Heritage. "Haeinsa Temple Janggyeong Panjeon, the Depositories for the Tripitaka Koreana Woodblocks" (PDF). whc.unesco.org.
- "刊本大藏經之入藏問題初探". ccbs.ntu.edu.tw.
- "No.2". www.china.com.cn.
- 工具書‧叢書‧大藏經 Archived 2010-09-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- 张新鹰：《中华大藏经》——一项重大的佛教文化工程 Archived 2009-03-29 at the Wayback Machine.
- "《金藏》劫波 一部佛经的坎坷路(图)_中国网". www1.china.com.cn.
- 說不盡的《趙城金藏》 Archived 2010-06-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- 略谈《中华大藏经》在汉文大藏经史上的地位 Archived 2011-07-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- "《中华大藏经（汉文部分）．续编》的特点和结构" (PDF).
- 怀念北图馆长北大教授王重民先生 Archived 2011-07-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- "A Research on the Authenticity of the Bhikhuni Seng Fa from Jiangmi 關於江泌女子僧法誦出經" (PDF).
- 一些伪经(作者:释观清) Archived 2007-05-15 at Archive.today
- "助印佛经须知_昌缘居士_新浪博客". blog.sina.com.cn.
- "zz关于伪经 - 饮水思源". bbs.sjtu.edu.cn.
- 果卿居士《现代因果实录》的不实之处- 般若之门 Archived 2011-07-11 at the Wayback Machine.
- The Chinese Canon (Introduction)
- WWW Database of Chinese Buddhist texts (Book index)
- Chinese Buddhist Tripitaka Electronic Text Collection, Taipei Edition
- Taishō Tripiṭaka, SAT
- Taishō Tripiṭaka, NTI Buddhist Text Reader With matching English titles and dictionary
- East Asian Buddhist Studies: A Reference Guide
- The TELDAP projects as the base of the Integration of Buddhist Archives -- Buddhist Lexicographical Resources and Tripitaka Catalogs as the example
- Digital Database of Buddhist Tripitaka Catalogues
- (in Chinese) 大藏经研究 (Book index)
- (in Chinese) 佛教《大藏经》34种版本介绍保证网络最全 (Book index)
- (in Chinese) 電子藏經 Extensive list of online tripitakas
- (in Chinese) 汉文大藏经刊刻源流表 (Book index)
- (in Chinese) 汉文大藏经概述[permanent dead link] (Book index)
- (in Chinese) 近三十年新发现的佛教大藏经及其价值 (Description of rediscovered texts of the Canon) (Book index)
- (in Chinese) 历代印本汉文大藏经简介[permanent dead link] (Description of existing versions of the Canon)
- (in Chinese) 汉文佛教大藏经的整理与研究任重道远 (Description of new versions of the Canon)
- (in Japanese) Machine-readable text-database of the Taishō Tripitaka (zip files of Taishō Tripitaka vol. 1-85)
- (in Chinese) CBETA Project (with original text of Taishō Tripitaka vol.1-55, 85; the complete Zokuzokyo/Xuzangjing, and the Jiaxing Tripitaka).
- (in Chinese) 佛教大藏經 (links to big size pdfs)
- (in Chinese) 藏经楼--佛教导航
- (in Korean) Tripitaka Koreana[permanent dead link] (electronic scans)
- Numata Center for Buddhist Translation and Research, Berkeley provides some English translations from the Taishō Tripitaka (prints or free pdf)
- Bibliography of Translations from the Chinese Buddhist Canon into Western Languages accessed 2013-07-16
- Alternative Source for CBETA
- Buddhist Scriptures in Multiple Languages
- Chinese Canon with English Titles and Translations
- 漢文電子大藏經系列 Chinese Buddhist Canon Series
- (in Chinese) 報佛恩網 (A collection of many modern Buddhist works outside the existing canon versions)
- (in Chinese) 生死书繁简版 (Another collection of modern Buddhist works)
- (in Chinese) 戒邪淫网 (Another collection of modern Buddhist works)
- (in Chinese) 佛學研究基本文獻及工具書 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 大藏经 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 大藏经 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 佛教大学 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 中文佛學文獻檢索與利用 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 工具書‧叢書‧大藏經 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) Center for Buddhist Studies 國立臺灣大學佛學研究中心 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 佛教研究之近況 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 佛書- 佛門網Buddhistdoor - 佛學辭彙- Buddhist Glossary (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 兩岸佛學研究與佛學教育的回顧與前瞻 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 当代台湾的佛学研究 (Book list)
- (in Chinese) 佛教资料库网站集锦(修订3版) (Book list)
- Chinese buddhism works