Chimera (TV series)
Chimera is a British science-fiction horror drama made by Anglia Television for ITV in 1991. It is based on the 1982 novel of the same name about genetic engineering by Stephen Gallagher. The theme music was "Roisin Dubh" by Nigel Hess and Chameleon.
|Written by||Stephen Gallagher|
|Directed by||Lawrence Gordon Clark|
|Theme music composer||"Róisín Dubh" by Chameleon|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Executive producers||Brenda Reid|
|Running time||60 minutes (TV version)|
104 minutes (Movie version)
|Production companies||Zenith Entertainment|
|Original release||7 July –|
28 July 1991 (UK)
14 June 1992 (US)
The series was later re-edited for release in the United States, and retitled Monkey Boy.
The story focuses upon Chad, a young half-boy, half-chimp, developed by scientists as part of a top secret government operation. However, Chad becomes aggressive, strong and uncontrollable, with the inability to communicate on a human level, escaping from the lab, brutally killing several nurses and scientists in the process. The hunt is on to find and capture Chad before the public encounters this strange and dangerous creation. During Chad's escape, he wrestles with his natural child tendencies after befriending some local children and trying to control his wild primal inner instincts.
- John Lynch as Peter Carson
- Christine Kavanagh as Alison Wells
- Kenneth Cranham as Hennessey
- Peter Armitage as Sgt. Crichton
- Emer Gillespie as Nurse Tracy Pickford
- Sarah Winman as Julia
- George Costigan as Schaffer
- Pip Torrens as Windeler
- David Calder as Dr. Jenner
- Douglas Mann as Chad
- Paul O'Grady as Social Worker
- Sebastian Shaw as Dr. Liawski
A heavily edited version of the series was released on VHS, with the title Monkey Boy, by Prism Entertainment.
The complete series was released on DVD in the United Kingdom by Revelation Films Ltd in July 2010.
- "Company Credits for Chimera". IMDb. Retrieved 4 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Alternate Versions for Chimera". IMDb. Retrieved 4 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Chimera". revfilms.co.uk. Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)