Cherry Tree railway station
Cherry Tree railway station serves Cherry Tree, a suburb of Blackburn, England. The station is 1.9 miles (3 km) southwest of Blackburn railway station in East Lancashire. It is within the boundaries of the Blackburn with Darwen unitary authority. It is managed by Northern, who also provide all the passenger services calling there.
|Local authority||Blackburn with Darwen|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened November 1847|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
The station is a two platform stop situated on the A674 road for Blackburn and was opened soon after the Blackburn to Preston line, in 1847. The former Lancashire Union Railway branch line to Chorley, Wigan and St Helens Shaw Street (opened in 1869) diverged a short distance to the west of the station, but this closed to passengers on 4 January 1960 and completely in 1966.
The station is unstaffed, all of its permanent buildings having been demolished (shelters still survive on both platforms). Only the western end of each platform is now used, with the sections east of the bridge on both sides now derelict. It has been refurbished in recent years, with a Community Rail Lancashire and local authority-sponsored cleanup & repair project carried out by local schoolchildren, college students, volunteers and council workers in 2014. The station has a long-line PA system and digital information screens in place to provide train running information. It also has full step-free access to both platforms for disabled passengers.
As of January 2018, along with other Stations on this line, a new touch screen Ticket Machine was added to the Station.
Monday to Saturdays, there is an hourly service from Cherry Tree towards Preston westbound and Blackburn, Burnley Central and Colne, eastbound. There is also an hourly service in each direction on Sundays.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 59. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Marshall, J (1981) Forgotten Railways: North-West England, David & Charles (Publishers) Ltd, Newton Abbott. ISBN 0-7153-8003-6; p.155
- "Cherry Tree Station Blossoms as Communities Unite" Clough, Dan Lancashire Telegraph article 17 November 2014; Retrieved 21 November 2016
- Cherry Tree station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 25 November 2016
- Table 97 National Rail timetable, May 2018
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cherry Tree railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
East Lancashire Line
|Feniscowles||L&YR / LNWR joint
Lancashire Union Railway