Check is a 2021 Indian Telugu-language prison drama film written and directed by Chandra Sekhar Yeleti. Produced by V. Anand Prasad's Bhavya Creations, the film stars Nithiin, Rakul Preet Singh, Priya Prakash Varrier (in her Telugu film debut), and Simran Choudary. Nithiin plays Aditya, a chess player who is on death row. The film was released on 26 February 2021.
|Directed by||Chandra Sekhar Yeleti|
|Produced by||V. Anand Prasad|
|Written by||Chandra Sekhar Yeleti|
|Music by||Kalyani Malik|
|Edited by||Sanal Anirudhan|
|Box office||est. ₹14 crore (3 days)|
Aditya escapes from the orphanage along with his friend who gets separated. He later works under a magician, learning every trick and gimmick he could. He grows up to be a con artist indulging in white-collar crimes. He befriends Yatra and falls for her. Yatra falsely frames him as a terrorist and he ends up in a prison with a death sentence. He grows interested in chess in the prison with the help of Sathyanarayana, a fellow inmate. He starts participating in National level competitions. Alongside this, he tries to prove his innocence and nullify his death penalty with the help of Manasa, a lawyer, but is not successful. He then tries for presidential pardon by becoming popular by playing chess where he wins the National level competition and enters Commonwealth games and wins the tournament. During the process of asking the president pardon, there is a terrorist attack that leads the president to turn down his petition.
Just before his death sentence is carried out, he requests to play his final game with chess grandmaster Viswanathan Anand as a last wish. During the game, he escapes from the prison which he was planning from the start after meeting his missing friend and the fellow inmate who helped him to learn chess. In the end, he narrates how he planned and escaped the prison after realising he wouldn’t be released from the prison even after getting the president’s pardon. He justifies his escape by claiming he is not guilty and will prove his innocence to the world.
- Nithiin as Aditya
- Rakul Preet Singh as Manasa
- Priya Prakash Varrier as Yatra
- Simran Choudary
- Sampath Raj as SP Rathnam
- Sai Chand as Sathyanarayana
- Posani Krishna Murali as Manasa's father, a lawyer
- Murali Sharma as SP
- Harsha Vardhan as an astrologer
- Chaitanya Krishna
- Karthik Rathnam as Vikram
- Aziz Naser as Jailguard Katamayya
The film was officially announced on 23 June 2019. Although principal photography began in early 2020, filming was paused due to COVID-19 lockdown in India. Filming was resumed in October 2020. The film's title was announced on 1 October 2020.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2021)
Check opened to mixed reviews. The Times of India critic Neeshita Nyayapati rated the film 2.5/5 and wrote, "Check has the potential to be an engaging prison drama but falters in portions it’s supposed to excel in." Hemanth Kumar in his review for Firstpost says, "For all the drama director Chandrasekhar Yeleti tries to create, the proceedings aren’t engaging enough and the protagonist's journey is lacklustre at best."
Sangeetha Devi of The Hindu opined that "Check might be one of Chandra Sekhar Yeleti’s weakest films." She felt that the narrative seemed shaky and the story arc seemed predictable. On the technical aspects, Devi added that "Rahul Srivastav’s cinematography, Kalyani Malik’s background score, and the production design work well for the film." The Indian Express journalist Gabbeta Ranjith Kumar stated, "Despite its novel idea and some good performances, Nithiin-starrer starts resembling The Shawshank Redemption as it inches closer to the climax."
- "Check movie trailer: Nithiin plays chess and breaks bones". The Indian Express. 4 February 2021. Retrieved 2 March 2021.
- "'చెక్' మూవీ 3 రోజుల కలెక్షన్స్". Asianet News Network Pvt Ltd (in Telugu). Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "Check movie review highlights: Nithiin, Rakul Preet, Priya Varrier starrer is a mixed bag". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 February 2021.
- "నితిన్ మరోటి మొదలుపెట్టాడు.. చంద్రశేఖర్ యేలేటి ఏం చేస్తాడో మరి..?". News18 Telugu. 23 June 2019. Retrieved 14 January 2021.
- K., Janani (1 October 2020). "Check first look poster out: Nithiin, Rakul Preet and Priya Prakash Varrier film gets a title". India Today. Retrieved 24 January 2021.
- "జైల్లో హీరో నితిన్.. అసలు ఏమైంది..! - Nithin Check movie". TV9 Telugu (in Telugu). 16 October 2020. Retrieved 24 January 2021.
- "Nithin and Yeleti's film titled Check". Telugu Cinema. 1 October 2020. Retrieved 24 January 2021.
- "Nithin in Check : నితిన్ కొత్త సినిమా టైటిల్ పోస్టర్". Zee News Telugu (in Telugu). 1 October 2020. Retrieved 24 January 2021.
- "First glimpse of Yeleti and Nithiin's 'Check'". The Hindu. 4 January 2021. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 24 January 2021.
- "Working Stills: Nithiin's Check Release Date Locked, To Clash With Rashmika's Pogaru". Sakshi Post. 22 January 2021. Retrieved 24 January 2021.
- "నితిన్ 'చెక్' పెట్టే డేట్ ఫిక్స్ చేసుకున్నాడు.. లవర్స్ డే తర్వాతే." Asianet News Network Pvt Ltd (in Telugu). Retrieved 24 January 2021.
- K., Janani (26 February 2021). "Check first reviews out. Nithiin and Priya Prakash Varrier film gets mixed response". India Today. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "Check Movie Review: A game of chess that leaves you wanting". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "Check movie review: Despite promise, Nithiin, Rakul Preet Singh's film lacks emotional heft to sustain audience attention". Firstpost. 26 February 2021. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (26 February 2021). "'Check' review: The moves aren't smart enough". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "Check movie review: Nithiin-starrer is just average fare". The Indian Express. 26 February 2021. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "Nithiin Check Movie First Week Collections: 'చెక్' మూవీ ఫస్ట్ వీక్ కలెక్షన్స్.. బాక్సాఫీస్ దగ్గర నిరాశ పరిచిన నితిన్." News18 Telugu (in Telugu). Retrieved 6 March 2021.