"Chattahoochee" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Alan Jackson. It was released in May 1993 as the third single from his album A Lot About Livin' (And a Little 'bout Love). The album is named for a line in the song itself. Jackson wrote the song with Jim McBride.
|Single by Alan Jackson|
|from the album A Lot About Livin' (And a Little 'bout Love)|
|B-side||"I Don't Need the Booze (To Get a Buzz On)"|
|Released||May 17, 1993|
|Genre||Country, country rock|
2:27 (album version)|
3:56 (extended mix)
|Label||Arista Nashville 20962|
|Alan Jackson singles chronology|
Background and writingEdit
Alan Jackson talks about the song in the liner notes for his 1995 compilation album, The Greatest Hits Collection: "Jim McBride and I were trying to write an up-tempo song and Jim came in with the line 'way down yonder on the Chattahoochee'. It kind of went from there. It's a song about having fun, growing up, and coming of age in a small town - which really applies to anyone across the country, not just by the Chattahoochee. We never thought it would be as big as it's become."
Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song an A grade, saying that the song could have performed well because it "looked back on the innocence of adolescence with bemusement and fondness for that transitional period of life."
The music video was directed by Martin Kahan and premiered in May 1993.
"Chattahoochee" debuted at #72 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of May 15, 1993.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||46|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||8|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
- "Alan Jackson Biography" (html). About.com. Retrieved 2007-08-07.
- The Greatest Hits Collection (CD). Alan Jackson. Arista Records. 1995. 07822 18801.
- CountryUniverse.net Song review
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 2198." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. August 7, 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Alan Jackson Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Alan Jackson Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1993". RPM. December 18, 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Best of 1993: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1993. Retrieved August 5, 2013.