Charles John Zwick (July 17, 1926 – April 20, 2018) was an American civil servant who served as director of the United States' Office of Management and Budget from January 29, 1968 until January 21, 1969 under the administration of Lyndon B. Johnson.
|17th Director of the Bureau of the Budget|
January 29, 1968 – January 21, 1969
|President||Lyndon B. Johnson|
|Preceded by||Charles Schultze|
|Succeeded by||Bob Mayo|
Charles John Zwick
July 17, 1926
Plantsville, Connecticut, U.S.
|Died||April 20, 2018 (aged 91)|
Coral Gables, Florida
|Education||University of Connecticut, Storrs (BA, MA)|
Harvard University (PhD)
Zwick was born in Plantsville, Connecticut and attended a rural one-room school. He served in the military from 1946 to 1948. Zwick attended the University of Connecticut. A college roommate of the late Bernard P. Dzielinski (of Terryville, CT), Mr. Zwick earned a bachelor's degree in economics in 1950 and a master's degree in agricultural economics in 1951. He earned a doctorate from Harvard University in 1954 and served for two years as a professor at the institution. He worked for the RAND Corporation from 1956 through 1963, where he researched American military and economic assistance programs for Southeast Asian nations.
Zwick joined the Bureau of the Budget in 1965, serving as its deputy director until 1968. During his tenure, Zwick became the last director to submit to Congress a proposal for a balanced budget. He left government at the end of the Johnson administration. Zwick then took a position as CEO of Southeast Banking Corporation, and he served in this capacity for 22 years until his resignation in 1991 due to loses pertaining to real estate investments. Zwick died of cancer in Coral Gables, Florida on April 20, 2018.
- "Charles Zwick [FGM 2]". Ufdc.ufl.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-16. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The International who's who, 1996-97 (60th ed.). London: Europa Publications. 1996. p. 1726. ISBN 1-85743-021-2. OCLC 35179765.
- "UConn Alumnus Gives $1 Million to Support Agriculture Studies | UConn Today". Today.uconn.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-16. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy › University of Connecticut". zwickcenter.uconn.edu. Retrieved 25 April 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Toledo Blade - Google News Archive Search". news.google.com. Retrieved 25 April 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Charles Zwick: Out At Southeast Bank". 28 January 1991. Retrieved 25 April 2018 – via www.bloomberg.com. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 'Charles Zwick, Who Balanced Budget Under John, Dies at 91,' New York Times, Sam Roberts, April 24, 2018
| Director of the Bureau of the Budget