Charles W. Curtis
Charles Whittlesey Curtis (born October 13, 1926) is a mathematician and historian of mathematics, known for his work in finite group theory and representation theory. He is a retired professor of mathematics at the University of Oregon.
Curtis introduced Curtis duality, a duality operation on the characters of a reductive group over a finite field. His book with Irving Reiner, (Curtis & Reiner 1962), was the standard text on representation theory for many years.
Curtis received a bachelor's degree from Bowdoin College in 1948, and his Ph.D. from Yale University in 1951, under the supervision of Nathan Jacobson. He taught at the University of Wisconsin–Madison from 1954 to 1963. Subsequently, he moved to the University of Oregon, where he is an emeritus professor.
While at Yale, on June 17, 1950 in Cheshire, Connecticut, Curtis married his wife Elizabeth, a kindergarten teacher and childcare provider. At the time of their 50th anniversary in 2000, they had three grandchildren.
- Curtis, Charles W. (1999), Pioneers of Representation Theory: Frobenius, Burnside, Schur, and Brauer, History of Mathematics, Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society, ISBN 978-0-8218-2677-5.
- Curtis, Charles W.; Reiner, Irving (1962), Representation theory of finite groups and associative algebras, Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. XI, Interscience Publishers, a division of John Wiley & Sons, New York-London, ISBN 978-0-8218-4066-5, MR 0144979
- Curtis, Charles W.; Reiner, Irving (1981), Methods of representation theory. Vol. I, New York: John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 978-0-471-18994-7, MR 0632548
- Curtis, Charles W.; Reiner, Irving (1987), Methods of representation theory. Vol. II, New York: John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 978-0-471-88871-0
- University of Oregon Catalog 2011–2012 Archived July 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 2011-07-11.
- Charles W. Curtis at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- UW Math Department Faculty 1849-2010, retrieved 2011-07-11.
- Emeritus Faculty Directory, University of Oregon Department of Mathematics, retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "Curtis", Eugene Register-Guardian, July 24, 2000.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-10.
- Review of Pioneers of Representation Theory by Peter G. Neumann, MR1715145.
- Review of Pioneers of Representation Theory by J. E. Humphreys, Bull. AMS, 2000, doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-00-00867-3.
- Review of Pioneers of Representation Theory by Leo Corry, Isis, 2001.
- Review of Pioneers of Representation Theory by Thomas Hawkins, Historia Mathematica, 2003, doi:10.1016/S0315-0860(02)00012-5.
- Carlson, Jon F. (1983). "Review: Methods of representation theory, Vol. I, by C. W. Curtis and I. Reiner". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 8 (1): 112–116. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1983-15099-1.
- Carlson, Jon F. (1987). "Review: Methods of representation theory, Vol. II, by C. W. Curtis and I. Reiner". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 1988 (2): 484–488. doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-1988-15709-6.
- Pictures of C. W. Curtis from Oberwolfach