Charles Jean-Baptiste Amyot
After his father died, Amyot lived with a neighbor, a wealthy merchant, who was also an entomologist, Jean Guillaume Audinet-Serville. They become life-long friends, and Audinet-Serville advised Amyot to specialize in the Hemiptera, which at the time was being ignored by serious entomologists.
In 1822, Amyot became a lawyer, but he continued to study the Hemiptera. In 1833, he published a work on civil law, Institutes, ou Principes des lois civiles (Institutes, or the principles of civil law). In 1843, together with Audinet-Serville, he published Histoire naturelle des insectes hémiptères (The Natural History of the Hemiptera Insects). Amyot was also interested in applied entomology and wrote several publications devoted to insect pests and how to fight them.
Amyot later became the president of the Entomological Society of France (Société entomologique de France), where he argued for his monomial nomenclature (see binomial nomenclature) for classification purposes, to the point where his fellow members withheld the honorary membership usually awarded to past presidents.
- Entomologie Francaise. Rhynchotes. Méthode mononymique, in Annales de la Société Entomologique de France (2): 1845, T.3: 369-492; 1846, T.4: 73-192; 359-452; 1847, T.5:143-238; 453-524 (1845-1847).
- Entomologie Francaise. Rhynchotes. Méthode mononymique. Paris, J.-B. Baillière, Libraire de l'Acad. Roy. Méd.: 1-504, 5 pl.(1848).
- with Audinet-Serville.Histoire naturelle des insectes Hémiptères. Paris, Libraire Encyclopédique de Roret: 1-675 (1843) BDHL Scan .
- Lhoste, Jean (1987) Les Entomologistes Francais 1750 - 1950'' (The French entomologists from 1750 to 1950). INRA, OPIE (Entomology): 115 [A1036].
- Stichel, Wolfgang (1962). "Amyot, Méthode mononymique: Request for a Direction that this Work be Placed on the Official Index of Rejected and Invalid Works in Zoological Nomenclature. Z.N.(S.) 1478". Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature. 19 (1): 42.
- "Opinion 686. Amyot, Méthode mononymique: Placed on the Official Index of Rejected and Invalid Works in Zoological Nomenclature". Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature. 20 (6): 423. 1963.
- Kerzhner, I. M. (2005). "Case 3327. Amyot, Méthode mononymique (1845–1847): Proposed Correction to Opinion 686". Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature. 62 (3): 146–148.
- "Opinion 2165 (Case 3327). Amyot, Méthode mononymique (1845–1847): Correction to Opinion 686". Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature. 63 (4): 284–285. 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charles Jean-Baptiste Amyot.|