Charles Clarence Butt (born February 3, 1938) is an American heir and billionaire. He inherited his family's San Antonio-based H-E-B supermarket chain in 1971. The privately held company has more than 300 stores and $20 billion in sales, according to Forbes.
Charles Clarence Butt
February 3, 1938
|Residence||San Antonio, Texas, U.S.|
|Education||University of Pennsylvania|
|Net worth||US$10.7 billion (April 2018)|
|Title||Chairman and CEO, H-E-B|
|Parent(s)||Howard Edward Butt Sr.|
Mary Elizabeth Holdsworth
Awards and recognitionEdit
In 2013, AdvisoryCloud ranked Butt as the #5 CEO on its Top Chief Executive List.
Butt pledged $50 million to the Raising Texas Teachers scholarship fund to support the training of Texas public school teachers.
Butt is single. Butt and his family were excluded from the annual Forbes list of the world’s top billionaires beginning in 2016. The magazine changed its methodology to exclude individuals from families that share their fortunes.
- "Forbes profile: Charles Butt". Forbes. Retrieved April 8, 2018.
- "HE Butt Grocery on the Forbes America's Largest Private Companies List". Forbes. October 2014.
- "H-E-B's Charles Butt family ties with Rockefellers on Forbes rich list". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- "H-E-B Official Website - History Archived March 29, 2010, at the Wayback Machine" HEB.com. Retrieved on April 23, 2010.
- May 2013 Top Private CEOs https://www.advisorycloud.com/rankings/2013-top-private-company-ceos/
- "Charles Butt to receive honor from Mexican government". San Antonio Business Journal. November 14, 2001. Retrieved December 17, 2006.
- "HEB boss Charles Butt gives $50 million to train Texas teachers". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- "Texas supermarket chain HEB donates $5 million to J.J. Watt's hurricane relief fund". usatoday.com. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- Patton, Mary Claire (September 6, 2017). "H-E-B CEO donates $5 million to J.J. Watt's Houston Flood Relief Fund". ksat.com. Retrieved September 6, 2017.
- "Charles Butt". Giving Pledge. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- "H-E-B's Charles Butt falls off Forbes billionaire rankings, but not because he isn't one". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved January 23, 2018.