Charles A. Burney
Charles Allen Burney (born 1930) is a British archaeologist known for his discovery of Urartian sites in Turkey in the 1950s and his excavations at Yanik Tepe, Tabriz, Iran from 1960 to 1962.
Burney was a scholar and fellow of the British Institute of Archaeology at Ankara from 1954–56 when he carried out archaeological investigations in Turkey and later in Iran. He is particularly known for his identification and sketch surveying of numerous Urartian sites during field expeditions made to the Lake Van region in the mid 1950s and his excavations at Yanik Tepe, Tabriz, Iran from 1960 to 1962. Yanik Tepe is a multi‐period site northwest of Lake Urmia with nine phases, including some of the earliest settlements in the region. A collection of studies in his honour, A View from the Highlands &c., was published by Peeters in 2004. Burney has contributed articles to Anatolian Studies and Iran. He was senior lecturer at the University of Manchester.
- The peoples of the hills: Ancient Ararat and Caucasus. Weidenfeld & Nicolson, London, 1971. (With David Marshall Lang) (History of Civilization)
- From village to empire: An introduction to Near Eastern Archaeology. Phaidon, Oxford, 1997. ISBN 0714817309
- Historical dictionary of the Hittites. Scarecrow Press, Lanham, 2004. ISBN 0810849364 (Historical dictionaries of ancient civilizations and historical eras, no. 14.) (Republished by Scarecro Press as The A to Z of the Hittites, 2010.)
- Burney, Charles A. & David Marshall Lang. (2001) The peoples of the hills: Ancient Ararat and Caucasus. London: Phoenix Press. ISBN 1842122525
- Charles Burney, The Kingdom of Urartu (Van), p144, in Ancient Anatolia, 1998.
- Yanik Tepe, Northwestern Iran The Early Trans-Caucasian Period. Stratigraphy and Architecture. Peeters Publishers. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Yanik Tepe, Tabriz, Iran. Oxford Index. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- A View from the Highlands: Archaeological Studies in Honour of Charles Burney. Peeters Publishers. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Sagona, Antonio. (Ed.) (2004) A View from the Highlands: Archaeological Studies in Honour of Charles Burney. Peeters. (Ancient Near Eastern Studies Supplement Series, 12) ISBN 978-90-429-1352-3
- Summers, G.D. (2013) Yanik Tepe, Northwestern Iran: The Early Trans-Caucasian Period. Stratigraphy and Architecture. Peeters. ISBN 978-90-429-2713-1
- "Uamh An Ard Achadh (High Pasture Cave)". high-pasture-cave.org. Retrieved 27 September 2015.