Chaparral High School (Arizona)
Chaparral High School is a public high school located in Scottsdale, Arizona, United States. Its mascot is the firebird, and the school colors are scarlet, red, and gold. Chaparral opened in February, 1973 with 800 students comprising freshman, sophomore and junior classes. The principal was James Curlett. The initial structures were built at a cost of $3.5 million. Chaparral's first graduates were the class of 1974.
|Chaparral High School|
6935 East Gold Dust Avenue
|School district||Scottsdale Unified School District|
|Student to teacher ratio||21.61|
Student body and academics
Chaparral High School has consistently ranked in Newsweek's list of Best High Schools in America, and in 2007 Chaparral was one of only 12 schools ranked in Arizona. The high school holds the state record for having the most National Merit Scholars in one year (37 in 2014). Additionally, the school has also earned the record most in-state Presidential Scholars in Arizona, with 17 in 2003.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Max Aaron (born 1992), figure skater
- Chance Adams, baseball player for the New York Yankees
- Brian Bannister, baseball player for the Kansas City Royals
- Darrell Bevell, football coach for the Detroit Lions and former quarterback
- Charles Brewer, baseball pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Chris Ciezki, football player for the Edmonton Eskimos
- Daniel Coulombe, baseball pitcher for the Oakland Athletics
- Dylan Cozens, baseball player, transferred in in his junior year
- Ike Davis (born 1987), baseball player for the New York Mets, Oakland Athletics
- Brianna & Nicole Garcia-Colace, professional twin wrestlers known in the WWE as the Bella Twins or Brie and Nikki Bella.
- Danielle Sierra Kamela, professional wrestler known in the WWE as Vanessa Borne
- Paul Konerko, former baseball player for the Chicago White Sox
- Taylor Lewan, professional football player for the Tennessee Titans
- Darren Mougey, football player for the Arizona Cardinals
- Craig Roh, football player for the Carolina Panthers
- Taylor Ruck, one of first two Olympic medalists born in the 21st century
- Wes Schweitzer, football player for Atlanta Falcons
- Lyle Sendlein, former football player for the Arizona Cardinals
- Kyle Williams, former football player for the San Francisco 49ers
- Jeremy Wolf (born 1993), American-Israeli baseball player on the Israel National Baseball Team
Entertainment and media
- Dustin Lee Abraham, actor, producer and screenwriter
- Jason Bellini, journalist, lead news anchor for CBS News on Logo, former CNN correspondent
- Alexandra Bracken, author
- Chronic Future, band
- Lauren Hildebrandt, pop singer, dancer, and actress
- Charlene Kaye, singer/songwriter
- Kongos, band
- Stephenie Meyer, author of Twilight book series
- Jenny Mollen, actress and author
- Busy Philipps, actress
- Chaparral High School
- "Chaparral High School – School Information". Susd.chaparral.schoolfusion.us. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- "10 Feb 1973, Page 67 - Arizona Republic at Newspapers.com".
- "America's Top Public High Schools – Newsweek America's Best High Schools". MSNBC. November 25, 2008. Archived from the original on May 23, 2007. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- "password protected article". Arizona Republic. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- Canada's Youngest Olympians, Olympic.ca
- Stephanie Meyer Biography