Suchinta Chowdhury Chanchal (Bengali: সুচিন্ত চৌধুরী চঞ্চল), known as Chanchal Chowdhury (Bengali: চঞ্চল চৌধুরী), is a Bangladeshi actor. Critically acclaimed for his performances in Rupkothar Golpo (2006), Monpura (2009), Television (2012), Aynabaji (2016), Debi (2018) and Hawa (2022). He has received two Bangladesh National Film Awards for Best Actor and three Meril Prothom Alo Awards for Best Actor.
Suchinta Chowdhury Chanchal
সুচিন্ত চৌধুরী চঞ্চল
Suchinta Chowdhury Chanchal
1 June 1974
|Education||Udaypur High School|
Rajbari Govt. College
University of Dhaka
|Alma mater||University of Dhaka|
|Occupation||Theatre, Television and Film Actor, Former Lecturer of Fine Arts in Soda-Coda-Uoda|
|Known for||Acting and well developed mentality about Art and Culture|
|Notable work||Monpura (2009) |
Moner Manush (2011)
Debi: Misir Ali Prothombar (2018)
|Spouse||Santwana Saha (m. 2006)|
|Awards||Bangladesh National Film Award for Best Actor(2 times),|
A household name in Bangladesh, Chowdhury started his career in 1996 in the theaters of Bangladesh. He joined famous theaters such as Aranyak Natyadal and performed in stage plays like Prakritojoner Kotha, Joyjoyonti, Ora Kodom Ali, Mayur Singhason, Songkranti, Rarang and Che-er Cycle. Albeit a prolific actor in TV series and films, he appeared in six movies as of 2018.
Chowdhury was born and raised in a Hindu family in the village of Kamarhaat in Pabna, Bangladesh, on 1 June 1974. His father's name is Radha Gobinda Chowdhury and mother's name is Nomita Chowdhury. He passed his SSC examination from Udaypur High School in 1990 and HSC examination from Rajbari Govt. College, Rajbari in 1992. He came to Dhaka in 1993 to apply for admission in the Department of Fine Arts at the University of Dhaka. His parents wanted him to be an engineer but an innate urge for art and culture drove him to become an actor. Chanchal Chowdhury settled in Dhaka in 1993 and dived headfirst into as much culture as possible. As a third year student of DU, he joined 'Aronyak', a theater group of Legendary actor, director and scriptwriter Mamunur Rashid. Then he worked on stage for 10 years continuously. During this period, he played minor roles in different television dramas as well. His first role as a hero was in the drama Grash directed by Faridur Rahman. Meanwhile, Chowdhury pursued his profession in UODA as a lecturer of Fine Arts from 2001 to 2006.
It was in 2004 that Fazlur Rahman Babu (actor) introduced Chowdhury to Gias Uddin Selim and Mostofa Sarwar Farooki. Chowdhury then started working more and more in television dramas. His initial works are Shurjer Hashi with Gias Uddin Selim, Talpatar Shepai, Nikhoj Shogbaad and a TV commercial, Maa with Mostofa Sarwar Farooki. At this point Chanchal's life took an upward surge towards success as the commercial gained him immense popularity.
One day Mostafa Sarwar Farooki asked me to meet him. He explained the script for the advertisement to me and I soon agreed as I felt that I could realise the emotion in the script— Chanchal Chowdhury
Even the advertisement's jingle was sung by Chowdhury. Though he never had any formal singing lessons, he is gifted with the talent to sing. "I always listened to Hemanta Mukhopadhdhay and Bhupen Hajarika and sang those songs to myself; I told Mostofa Sarwar Farooki bhai to give me a chance to sing the jingle because I really thought that my voice would suit the song. Ayub Bachchu and Mostofa Sarwar Farooki then listened to my singing and later let me know that my song had been selected." Chowdhury later won the Meril-Prothom Alo award as the best model 2006 for this commercial. Chowdhury came into the spotlight for the first time as a model in the commercial of Grameenphone which became immensely popular at that time. Pother Klanti Bhule - a very popular song of Hemanta Mukherjee attracted some more attention onto the advertisement. Eventually, that advertise brought him the prestigious Meril-Prothom Alo award in "The Best Model - Men" category in 2005. The commercial was directed by Mostafa Sarwar Farooki, with whom, Chowdhury worked with on the serial 'Talpatar Shepai'.
After the commercial, Chowdhury's acting career started moving forward at a very good pace. He then worked with Salauddin Lavlu, Saidul Anam Tutul, Golam Sarwar Tutul and so on. Some of the dramas that Chowdhury specially likes are Vober Hat, Bongsho Rokkhe, Talpatar Shepai, Nikhoj Shongbaad, Ami Tumi Shottojit, Boral Parer Shitlai Gaon, Akjon Durbol Manush and also many more. The busy actor is also seen frequently in Eid-special TV plays.
Chowdhury plays a key role, called ‘Laley’, in Aronyak's popular production Shangkranti. In Che'er Cycle (a Bengali Theatre production), he plays six different characters including those of Fidel Castro and a peace-loving young boy, Shubhro — demonstrating his versatility. Chowdhury considers his performance in Che'er Cycle as one of his best works on stage so far. On his contemporaries, the actor says, several artistes are doing well. Among them, AKM Hasan, Mosharraf Karim, Shamim Zaman, Anisur Rahman Milon, Nusrat Imroz Tisha, Chandni and Richi Solaiman have done some impressive works. Chowdhury says that performing in front of the camera is relatively easy for him, thanks to his experience on stage. He adds, acting in films is more challenging than TV plays because of its duration and format. He has also been a playback singer, along with Meher Afroz Shaon, in the 2012 war film depicting the Bangladesh Liberation War, Pita Also known for famous children show "Sisimpur" where he played the character of "Mukul"
Chanchal Chowdhury faced online backlash after posting a picture with his mother on Mother's day 2020. On getting to know about his Hindu faith from the customary sindur on his mother's forehead many people made derogatory remarks. Chanchal responded with poetry, encouraging harmony between all faiths.
|2006||Rupkothar Golpo||Tauquir Ahmed||won Meril Prothom Alo Awards for Critics Choice Best Actor(Film)|
|2009||Monpura||Giasuddin Selim||Shonai||Won Bangladesh National Film Award for Best actor & Meril Prothom Alo Awards for Best Actor (Film)|
|2010||Moner Manush||Goutam Ghose||Kaluah||Indo-Bangladeshi Bengali Film|
|2012||Television||Mostofa Sarwar Farooki||Sulemon|
|2016||Aynabaji||Amitabh Reza Chowdhury||Ayna||Won Bangladesh National Film Awards for Best actor & Meril Prothom Alo Awards for Best actor|
|2018||Debi||Anam Biswas||Misir Ali||Nominated Meril Prothom Alo Awards for Best actor|
|2022||Paap Punno||Giasuddin Selim||Khorshed||Post Production|
|Hawa||Mejbaur Rahman Sumon||Chan Majhi||Showing in Theatres|
|Mujib: The Making of a Nation||Shyam Benegal||Sheikh Lutfar Rahman|
|2004||Shilalipi||Shamim Akter||Credited as Suchinta Chanchal|
|2005||Tiner Tolowar||Ashutosh Sujon||Muazzem|
|2006||Talpatar Shepai||Mostofa Sarwar Farooki||Bulbul||Nusrat Imroz Tisha||Bengali Drama|
|Bangsher Bati||Bengali Drama|
|Goruchor||Salauddin Lavlu||Bengali Drama|
|2007||Swapner Bilat||Salauddin Lavlu||Bengali Drama|
|Etimkhana||Salauddin Lavlu||Bengali Drama|
|Vober Hat||Salauddin Lavlu||Fiza Sir||Bengali Drama serial|
|2008||Tuntunni Villa||Bengali Drama serial|
|Mama Vagnea||Bengali Drama serial|
|Ghor Kutum||Salauddin Lavlu||A.T.M. Shamsuzzaman||Bengali Drama serial|
|Dholer Baddo||Salauddin Lavlu||Fazlur Rahman Babu||Bengali Drama|
|College - Student||A.K.M. Hasan||Bengali Drama|
|Potro Mitali||Salauddin Lavlu||Bengali Drama|
|2009||Pattri Chai||A.K.M. Hasan, Siddique, Khushi||Bengali Drama|
|Warren||Salauddin Lavlu||Challenger||Bengali Drama|
|Alta Sundori||Salauddin Lavlu||Bengali Drama serial|
|Gadha Nogor||Salauddin Lavlu||Bengali Drama|
|Sakin Sarisuri||Salauddin Lavlu||Japan Doctor||Masum Aziz, Nazmul Huda Bachchu, Mamunur Rashid, Mosharraf Karim, Azizul Hakim||Bengali Drama serial|
|2010||Khela||Mahfuz Ahmed, Humayun Ahmed||Abul Hayat, Challenger||Bengali Drama|
|Harkipte||Salauddin Lavlu||Bohor||Amirul Haque Chowdhury, Mosharraf Karim||Bengali Drama serial|
|2011||Lekhok Sri Narayan Chandra Das||Salauddin Lavlu||Narayan||Amirul Haque Chowdhury, Humaira Himu, Milon Bhattacharya, Shireen Alam||Bengali Drama|
|2014||Ujan Ganger Naiya||Giasuddin Selim||Arif||Orchita Sporshia||Bengali Drama|
|2012||Idiots||Mohammad Mostafa Kamal Raz||Purnima||TV series|
|2017||Vangon||Abu Hayat Mahmud||Zakia Bari Momo||Bengali Drama|
|Ichchey Manush||Sajib Ahmed Chowdhury||Abir Hossain||Fazlur Rahman Babu||Bengali Drama|
|2018||Mental Family||Dipu Hazra||A.K.M Hasan, Shahanaz Khushi, Farhana Mili||Bengali Drama|
|Ayesha||Mostofa Sarwar Farooki||Joinal||Nusrat Imroz Tisha||Bengali Drama|
|2019||Shohorali||Ejaj Munna||Moutushi Biswas||TV series|
|2020||Rupa Bhabi||Mejbah Uddin Shumon||Tareen Jahan||Bengali Drama|
|Kingkortobbobimur||Nusrat Imroz Tisha||Bengali Drama|
|2021||Dark Roasted Coffee||Ejaz Munna||Faria Shahrin, Maimuna Ferdous Momo||Bengali Drama|
|1998||Shangkranti||Laley||Arannyak Natyodol Production|
|1999||Prakritojoner Kotha||Arannyak Natyodol Production|
|2000||Ora Kodom Ali||Arannyak Natyodol Production|
|2003||Mayur Singhason||Arannyak Natyodol Production|
|Songkranti||Arannyak Natyodol Production|
|Che'r Cycle||Shubra||Bengali Theatre Production|
|2004||Joyjoyonti||Arannyak Natyodol Production|
|Rarang||Arannyak Natyodol Production|
|2019||Neel Dorja||Bioscope||Mirza||Bidya Sinha Saha Mim, ABM Sumon||Golam Sohrab Dodul|
|2020||Taqdeer||Hoichoi||Taqdeer||Sanjida Preeti, Manoj Kumar Pramanik, Partha Barua, Shohel Mondol||Syed Ahmed Shawki|
|2021||Contract||ZEE5||Black Ronju||Momo, Arifin Shuvoo, Mithila, Aisha Khan Tahiya, Shamol Mawla, Iresh Zaker, Rawnak Hasan, Maznun Mizan, Tariq Anam Khan, Jayanta Chattopadhyay, Mahmud Sazzad, Somu Chowdhury||Tanim Noor and Krishnendu Chattopadhyay|
|Dark Room||Cinematic||Tareen Jahan, Badhon||Golam Sohrab Dodul|
|Munshigiri||Chorki||Masood Munshi||Purnima||Amitabh Reza Chowdhury|
|Ladies & Gentlemen||ZEE5||Special Appearance||Tasnia Farin, Afzal Hossain, Hasan Masood, Mostafa Monwar, Maria Nur, Partha Barua, Iresh Zaker||Mostofa Sarwar Farooki|
|Unoloukik||Chorki||Psychiatrist||Nusrat Imrose Tisha||Robiul Alam Robi|
|Boli||Hoichoi||Sohrab||Shohel Mondol, Sohana Saba||Shankha Dasgupta|
|Jaago Bahey||Chorki||Illyas||Farhana Hamid, Lutfur Rahman George||Siddiq Ahmed|
|2022||Pett Kata Shaw||Chorki||Nuhash Humayun|
|Karagar||Hoichoi||David||Syed Ahmed Shawki|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2009||National Film Awards||Best Actor||Monpura||Won jointly with Ferdous|
|Meril Prothom Alo Awards||Public Choice Best Actor (Film)||Monpura||Won|
|2010||Meril Prothom Alo Awards||Critics Choice Best Actor (TV)||Won|
|2016||Meril Prothom Alo Awards||Critics Choice Best Actor (Film)||Aynabaji||Won|
|2016||National Film Awards||Best Actor||Aynabaji||Won|
|2018||Meril Prothom Alo Awards||Critics Choice Best Actor (Film)||Debi||Won|
|2021||Hoichoi Awards||Breakthrough Performance of the Year||Taqdeer and Boli||Won|
|Blender's Choice–The Daily Star Awards||Best male actor (popular category)||Taqdeer||Won|
- "Meril Prothom Alo Awards". The Daily Star. 11 April 2010. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- সেরা চলচ্চিত্র অভিনেতা চঞ্চল চৌধুরী. Prothom Alo (in Bengali). Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- ফেরদৌস ও চঞ্চল চৌধুরী শ্রেষ্ঠ অভিনেতা, পপি শ্রেষ্ঠ অভিনেত্রী. The Daily Janakantha (in Bengali). Archived from the original on 20 October 2018. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- জাতীয় চলচ্চিত্র পুরস্কার ২০১৬ (PDF) (in Bengali). 5 April 2018. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 April 2018. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "Chanchal Chowdhury in a BTV serial for the first time". The Daily Star. 2 July 2019. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "'Rupa Bhabi' tells the story of conjugal life". The Independent. Dhaka.
- "Chanchal Chowdhury". The Daily Star. 1 June 2018. Retrieved 19 October 2018.
- "Chanchal Chowdhury's Biography, Films and Achievements". Archived from the original on 9 August 2020.
- Sazu, Shah Alam (23 October 2012). "Durga Puja festivities: Chanchal Chowdhury returns to his roots". The Daily Star. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "'Birthdays are bittersweet for me' – Chanchal Chowdhury". The Daily Star. 2 June 2019. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "Kumar Bishwajit and Chanchal share birthday today". The Independent. Dhaka. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "Chanchal Chowdhury Biography, Age, Height, Family and More". Archived from the original on 22 July 2021.
- প্রাণচঞ্চল চঞ্চল. Jayjaydin. Retrieved 8 March 2022.
- ‘পিতা’ মুক্তি পাচ্ছে ১৪ ডিসেম্বর. Prothom Alo. 9 December 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2022.[dead link]
- "Chanchal Chowdhury faces social media backlash over religion, responds with poetry". Dhaka Tribune. 11 May 2021. Retrieved 13 November 2021.
- "Selim's Paap Punno begins promotion". Dhaka Tribune. 3 October 2019. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Chanchal Chowdhury to play Sheikh Lutfar Rahman in Bangabandhu biopic". The Dhaka Star. 13 January 2021. Retrieved 13 January 2021.
- "Favourite pair Chanchal-Khushi continues their legacy". The Daily Observer. 23 November 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2022.
- আবারো হাড়কিপ্টে আমিরুল হক চৌধুরী. Bangla News 24. 5 April 2011. Retrieved 8 March 2022.
- Lekhok Sri Narayon Chondro Dash, Chanchal Chowdhury, Nova, Aa Kho Mo Hasan, Shamim Zaman (YouTube) (in Bengali). G Series Bangla Natok. 21 October 2017.
- Shazu, Shah Alam. "2011 ends on a high note!". The Daily Star. Retrieved 12 February 2022.
- Shahnewaz, Sadi Mohammad (17 July 2018). "Tisha and Chanchal to star in Farooki's telefilm 'Ayesha'". The Daily Star. Retrieved 12 February 2022.
- "Fahmi returns with Chanchal, Tisha". Dhaka Tribune. 18 July 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2022.
- ঈদুল আজহায় এনটিভির সাত দিনব্যাপী বর্ণাঢ্য আয়োজন. NTV Online (in Bengali). Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- চঞ্চল-মিমের ‘নীল দরজা’র রহস্যময় পোস্টার!. NTV. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 12 February 2022.
- Chowdhury, Priyanka (16 March 2021). "Tanim Noor opens up about 'Contract'". The Daily Star. Retrieved 12 February 2022.