Chamcook, New Brunswick
Chamcook (// sham-KUUK) is a community in the Canadian province of New Brunswick. It is situated in Saint Andrews, a parish of Charlotte County. It lies between the eastern bank of Chamcook Lake and the western edge of Passamaquoddy Bay.
"Many meanings have been given, but none are certain." (Ganong). May refer to a harbour with a narrow entrance.
Chamcook was founded in 1785. Its location on Passamaquoddy Bay made fishing and shipbuilding two important industries to the local economy, though the community also depended on agriculture as did many surrounding villages in New Brunswick.
- The Canadian Press (2017), The Canadian Press Stylebook (18th ed.), Toronto: The Canadian Press
- "Chamcook". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Chamcook". Provincial Archives of New Brunswick. Retrieved 27 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Chamcook, NB, Canada (Map). Google Maps. Retrieved 27 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hamilton, William (1978). The Macmillan Book of Canadian Place Names. Toronto: Macmillan. p. 73. ISBN 0-7715-9754-1.