Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization
The Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization (or Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization) is the leader of the Executive Committee (EC) of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), the executive body of the PLO, which was established in 1964. The Chairman represents the PLO and the Palestinian people before the international community, including the United Nations. The Chairman is chosen by the members of the PLO EC. Since 29 October 2004, Mahmoud Abbas has been the Chairman of the PLO EC.
Yasser Arafat was appointed leader of the PLO on 4 February 1969 at the meeting of the Palestinian National Council (PNC) in Cairo. He continued to be PLO leader (sometimes called Chairman, sometimes President) for 35 years, until his death on 11 November 2004. Mahmoud Abbas was acting Chairman from 29 October 2004 to 11 November 2004, while Arafat was incapacitated, and was Chairman after that date.
On 22 August 2015, Mahmoud Abbas announced his resignation as a member and Chairman of the PLO Executive Committee. However, his resignation was conditional on the approval of the PNC, which was called for 15 September. Many Palestinians saw the move as just an attempt to replace some members in the Executive Committee, or to force a meeting of the PNC and remain in their jobs until the PNC decides whether to accept or to reject their resignations. The announcement was criticised by many Palestinian factions, as the PNC had not met for nearly 20 years, and had been postponed indefinitely. The Executive Committee members who announced their resignations were to continue to hold their positions until the PNC meets.
List of Chairmen (1964–present)Edit
|Term of office||Faction||Notes|
|10 June 1964||24 December 1967||—|
|24 December 1967||3 February 1969||—|
|4 February 1969||11 November 2004
(died in office)
|Fatah||In exile in Jordan (to April 1971), Lebanon (1971 – December 1982) and Tunisia (December 1982 – May 1994).|
|29 October 2004||Incumbent||Fatah||Acting on behalf of Yasser Arafat from |
29 October 2004 to 11 November 2004.
- "PALESTINIAN ORGANISATIONS". al-bab.com. 18 June 2009. Archived from the original on 1 April 2015.
- Purported Abbas resignation from PLO Executive Committee ridiculed as ′silly show′. Khaled Abu Toameh , Jerusalem Post, 23 August 2015
- Palestinian National Council Scheduled to Convene on September 15th Archived December 8, 2015, at the Wayback Machine. WAFA, 27 August 2015
- Abbas heats up Palestinian politics in PLO reshuffle bid. Nidal al-Mughrabi and Ali Sawafta, Reuters, 27 August 2015
- PNC chair confirms controversial session postponed. Ma'an News Agency, 9 September 2015
- Al Fatah Chief To Lead Palestinian Liberation; Associated Press; Feb. 6, 1969
- FATAH WINS CONTROL OF PALESTINE GROUP;New York Times; Feb. 5, 1969
- Official document signed by the "Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization"
|This Palestine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|