Cerrina Monferrato (population about 1,600) is a commune in the Province of Alessandria in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 40 kilometres (25 mi) east of Turin and about 40 kilometres (25 mi) northwest of Alessandria. Its municipal borders enclose an area of 17.1 square kilometres (6.6 sq mi) ranging in elevation from 158 to 422 metres (518 to 1,385 ft) above sea level. The commune borders Gabiano to the north, Mombello Monferrato to the east, Castelletto Merli and Odalengo Piccolo to the south, and Odalengo Grande and Villamiroglio to the west. The two principal population centres are Valle Cerrina which had a population of 583 at the time of the 2001 census, and Cerrina itself, the historic centre and capoluogo which had a population of 353. Montalero (pop. 35) and Rosingo (pop. 261) were both communes in their own right until 1928. The other settlements include Montaldo, Piancerreto and Gaminella: although the last lies mostly within the commune of Mombello Monferrato.
|Comune di Cerrina Monferrato|
|Frazioni||Valle, Montalero, Piancerreto, Montaldo, Rosingo |
|• Mayor||Aldo Visca (lista civica, elected 8 June 2009)|
|• Total||17.1 km2 (6.6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||225 m (738 ft)|
(1 January 2009)
|• Density||92/km2 (240/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Nazarius and Celsus|
|Saint day||28 July|
In 2005 Cerrina was the centre of swarms of locusts or grasshoppers (the local Calliptamus italicus) which, unprecedented in their magnitude and moving at speeds of up to 55 kilometres per hour (34 mph), threatened the vineyards of Monferrato and the province of Asti. Mayor of Cerrina Pier Valentino Piva was quoted as saying that "there are thousands of them massed on the walls of our houses from morning to night. It seems as though here we are living through a scourge from the Bible".
- Statuto Comunale, Comune di Cerrina.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- ‘Popolazione residente al 1 Gennaio 2009 per età, sesso e stato civile: Cerrina Monferrato’, Istat, 2009.
- Sandro Lombardini, Comune di Cerrina, Schede storico-territoriali dei comuni del Piemonte, (Regione Piemonte, 2002). Archived 27 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- ‘Popolazione residente - Alessandria (dettaglio loc. abitate) - Censimento 2001’, 2001 Census, Istat.
- John Phillips, ‘Plague of locusts threatens Italian vineyards’, The Independent, 23 July 2005.