Center Township, Wayne County, Indiana
The Lewis Jones House, a historic place located in Center Township
Location in Wayne County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||42.32 sq mi (109.6 km2)|
|• Land||42.03 sq mi (108.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.29 sq mi (0.8 km2) 0.69%|
|Elevation||1,014 ft (309 m)|
|• Density||180.3/sq mi (69.6/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||453196|
Center Township was organized in 1817.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 42.32 square miles (109.6 km2), of which 42.03 square miles (108.9 km2) (or 99.31%) is land and 0.29 square miles (0.75 km2) (or 0.69%) is water. The streams of Black Run, Bryant Creek, Center Run, Centrum Run, Cold Run, Cool Brook, Crown Creek, Far Run, Fork Creek, Free Run, Middle Run, Point Run, Rich Creek, Sleet Brook, Snow Run Brook and Winter Run run through this township.
Cities and townsEdit
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Green Township (north)
- Webster Township (northeast)
- Wayne Township (east)
- Boston Township (southeast)
- Abington Township (south)
- Washington Township (southwest)
- Harrison Township (west)
- Jackson Township (west)
- Clay Township (northwest)
The township contains three cemeteries: Crown Hill, Crown Hill and West Grove.
Center Township is served by the Centerville-Center Township Public Library.
- "Center Township, Wayne County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Young, Andrew White (1872). History of Wayne County, Indiana, from Its First Settlement to the Present Time. R. Clarke & Company. p. 161.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Indiana public library directory" (PDF). Indiana State Library. Retrieved 15 March 2018.