Cathkin High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Cathkin High School|
|Type||Secondary School Comprehensive School|
|Motto||Be All You Can Be|
|Closed||Moved to a new building nearby in October 2008|
|Local authority||South Lanarkshire|
|Headteacher||Anne Marie McNair|
|Age||11 to 18|
|Houses||Burns, Carnegie, Kelvin, Livingstone MacKintosh, Telford|
|Colour(s)||Red & yellow|
|Feeder Schools||Cathkin Primary School|
Cairns Primary School
Hallside Primary School
Loch Primary School
West Coats Primary School
The original school was built at a cost of £1.25 million and opened in November 1970, around the same time as the neighbouring housing scheme at Whitlawburn was completed. In 2008, the old buildings closed and the school moved to a new campus that also houses a nursery and a special school, Rutherglen High School, on a site occupied by some of the old school's playing fields, north of its buildings, which were redeveloped for housing (the Cathkin Rise estate by Barratt).
Cathkin uses a house system. The school is split into six houses and they are:
Notable former pupils and teachersEdit
Notable former pupils include:
- Darren Young, footballer (Aberdeen, Dunfermline Athletic, Scotland u21) and manager (Albion Rovers, Alloa Athletic)
- Derek Young, footballer (also Aberdeen, Dunfermline and Scotland u21 plus Partick Thistle), brother of Darren
- Duncan Weir, professional rugby union player (Glasgow Warriors, Edinburgh, Scotland)
- Kenny McLean professional footballer (St Mirren, Aberdeen, Norwich City, Scotland)
- Jamie Genevieve, Scottish vlogger and make-up artist
- "New high school opened". Glasgow Herald. 17 November 1970. p. 8. Retrieved 5 November 2016.
- Smith, Kenny (15 October 2008). "Cathkin High closes its doors for the last time". Daily Record / Rutherglen Reformer. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- "About Us". Cathkin Community Nursery. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- "About our School". Rutherglen High School. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- "Barratt homes in on £185m deal to build at school sites". The Scotsman. 3 July 2006. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- Smith, Kenny (30 October 2009). "Demolition underway at old Cathkin High School". Daily Record / Rutherglen Reformer. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- Dickie, Douglas (10 October 2012). "Housing developer given warning for dumping at Rutherglen site". Daily Record / Rutherglen Reformer. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- "Parentzone: Cathkin High School". Education Scotland. Archived from the original on 5 November 2016. Retrieved 5 November 2016.
- Spooner, Murray (8 May 2018). "Cathkin High School football team pull off true underdog story to be crowned Scottish champions". Daily Record. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- Darren Young's a City slicker after getting fan mail from Manchester, Daily Record, 2015
- Derek Young's spell in Iceland was a real eye-opener after their success at Euro 2016, Daily Record, 2016
- "'I've got Scotland rooting for me, which is really special' – makeup vlogging sensation Jamie Genevieve". Evening Times. 16 September 2018. Retrieved 19 August 2019.