Cathedral of Salto
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint John the Baptist (Spanish: Catedral Basílica de San Juan Bautista) is the main Roman Catholic church building of Salto. It is the see of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Salto since 1939.
|Catedral Basílica de San Juan Bautista de Salto|
|District||Diocese of Salto|
Designed by the Salesian Ernesto Vespignani, the style of this temple is Eclecticism, with a predominantly Baroque facade. It was consecrated in 1889, dedicated to saint John the Baptist. In its interior stand out several paintings by Zorrilla de San Martín and the Christ in bronze by Edmundo Pratti.
There are other churches in Uruguay dedicated to St. John the Baptist:
- St. John the Baptist Parish Church in Pocitos, Montevideo
- St. John the Baptist Parish Church in Santa Lucía
- St. John the Baptist Parish Church in San Bautista
- St. John the Baptist Parish Church in Río Branco
- St. John the Baptist Parish Church in Mercedes
- St. John the Baptist Chapel in Ismael Cortinas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Catedral de Salto.|
|This article about a Christian church building in Uruguay is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a Catholic cathedral is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|