|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Traditional music.|
The term traditional music is often used as a broad classification of music genres that contrasts with classical music and popular music genres (see Musical genres) as referring to genres founded neither upon any theoretical canon nor upon any mass commercial medium. The term has tended to replace folk music, which has come to refer to European rural genres and contemporary American styles based upon these. The term ethnic music, which gave rise to the discipline of ethnomusicology, has also tended to give way to the term "traditional". Nevertheless it can be difficult to draw clear lines even between these few terms. Indigenous music refers to the music of ethnic groups whose region has been occupied by later migrants: it has no strictly musical definition.
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- Advent songs (40 P)
- Ethnic music (2 C, 1 P)
- Indigenous music (20 C, 12 P)
- Traditional musicians (3 C, 20 P)
- Traditional music by ethnicity (4 C, 1 P)
Pages in category "Traditional music"
The following 50 pages are in this category, out of 50 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
- List of Asian folk music traditions
- List of Central American folk music traditions
- List of European folk music traditions
- List of South American folk music traditions
- List of TG4 Composers Award recipients
- List of TG4 Lifetime Achievement Award recipients
- List of TG4 Singer of the Year Award recipients
- List of TG4 Special Contribution Award recipients
- List of TG4 Traditional Musician of the Year recipients
- List of TG4 Young Traditional Musician of the Year recipients