|"Catch a Falling Star"|
|Single by Perry Como|
|Recorded||October 9, 1957|
|Songwriter(s)||Paul Vance and Lee Pockriss|
Background and chart performanceEdit
It was Como's last number one hit, reaching number 1 on the Billboard "Most Played by Jockeys" chart but not in the overall top 100, where it reached number 3. It was the first single to receive a Recording Industry Association of America gold record certification, on March 14, 1958. Overseas, in 1958, the song also topped the Australian charts. In the UK Singles Chart, "Catch a Falling Star" peaked at number nine.
The single won Como the 1959 Grammy Award for Best Vocal Performance, Male.
In popular cultureEdit
The song has been featured in several films, including:
- The Princess Diaries
- Love Actually
- Everybody's Fine
- Welcome to Me
- Never Been Kissed
- It was often featured in the TV series Lost, and was most often associated with Claire Littleton and her baby, Aaron.
- It is also featured in an episode of the FX black comedy Mr Inbetween.
- A musical phrase from the song appears in John Williams's score for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull during the motorcycle chase through the college.
- "Perry Como - Catch A Falling Star". 45cat.com. Retrieved 5 May 2021.
- "Perry Como Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved June 14, 2009.
- Whitburn, Joel (2013). Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles, 14th Edition: 1955-2012. Record Research. p. 187.
- "History Of The Awards". RIAA.com. Archived from the original on July 1, 2007. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- "Perry Como". Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 23, 2020.
- "A Whirl Through Academe" track title, soundtrack album, Concord Records, 2008