Cascade Township, Michigan
Cascade Charter Township is a charter township of Kent County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was estimated at 19,406 in 2019, based on the 17,134 mark at the 2010 census, up from 15,107 at the 2000 census.
Cascade Charter Township, Michigan
"Serene vistas...Plentiful trees...Two rivers...One community"
|• Total||35.3 sq mi (91.3 km2)|
|• Land||33.9 sq mi (87.8 km2)|
|• Water||1.0 sq mi (2.5 km2)|
|Elevation||663 ft (202 m)|
|• Density||506/sq mi (195.2/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626037|
The township is situated in the southeastern section of Kent County, approximately 10 miles (16 km) southeast of Grand Rapids. A defining feature of the township is the Thornapple River, which divides the township into east and west halves. The township is bordered to the west by the city of Kentwood, to the north by Ada Township, to the east by Lowell Charter Township, and to the south by Caledonia Charter Township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 34.8 square miles (90 km2), of which, 33.9 square miles (88 km2) of it is land and 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) of it (2.53%) is water.
- Cascade is an unincorporated community within the township, centered upon the intersection of 28th Street and Cascade Road. It consists of a large commercial district along 28th Street and several surrounding bedroom communities. Cascade was initially platted in 1845 by D. S. T. Weller. It had a post office from 1854 until 1910.
- Grand Rapids is located to the west and northwest, beyond the city of Kentwood. The Grand Rapids ZIP codes 49512 and 49546 serve portions of the township. 49512 serves the southwest portion of the township. Kentwood, Michigan, which is to the west, is also an acceptable name in the 49512 ZIP code. 49546 serves the northwest portion of the township.
- Ada is to the north, and the Ada ZIP code 49301 serves most of the eastern portion of the township.
- Alto is to the southeast, and the Alto ZIP code 49302 serves the southeast portion of Cascade Township.
- The northern half of the township, or approximately the Ada and Grand Rapids 49546 ZIP code areas, is part of the Forest Hills census-designated place, along with most of Ada Township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 15,107 people, 5,394 households, and 4,374 families residing in the township. The population density was 445.7 per square mile (172.1/km2). There were 5,638 housing units at an average density of 166.3 per square mile (64.2/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 94.55% White, 1.00% African American, 0.28% Native American, 3.06% Asian, 0.26% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.87% of the population.
There were 5,394 households, out of which 39.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.1% were married couples living together, 4.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.9% were non-families. 16.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.80 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the township the population was spread out, with 29.4% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 23.8% from 25 to 44, 30.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $87,290, and the median income for a family was $98,013. Males had a median income of $71,960 versus $37,234 for females. The per capita income for the township was $39,470. About 1.5% of families and 2.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.3% of those under age 18 and 3.4% of those age 65 or over.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2019)
West Michigan Aviation Academy, a charter high school, is in the township. In addition, there are three public school districts, Forest Hills Public Schools, Caledonia Public Schools and Lowell Area Public Schools, operating numerous elementary, intermediate and high schools.
- "Cascade Township, Michigan". Cascade Township, Michigan. Retrieved August 24, 2012.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cascade Township, Michigan
- "U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts: Cascade charter township, Kent County, Michigan". www.census.gov. Retrieved 2021-06-10.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001), Cascade charter township, Kent County, Michigan". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved March 20, 2019.
- Ashlee, Laura (2005). Traveling Through Time: A Guide to Michigan's Historical Markers. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. p. 222. ISBN 9780472030668.
- Romig 1986, p. 101.
- 49512 5-Digit ZCTA, 495 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- USPS ZIP Code Lookup
- 49546 5-Digit ZCTA, 495 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49301 5-Digit ZCTA, 493 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49302 5-Digit ZCTA, 493 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- "Street Index Map". Cascade Charter Township. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- "Home". West Michigan Aviation Academy. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
5363 44th Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49512
- "Education | Cascade Twp". cascadetwp.com. Retrieved 2021-06-10.