Casalecchio di Reno
Casalecchio di Reno
|Comune di Casalecchio di Reno|
The Reno River at Casalecchio.
|Metropolitan city||Bologna (BO)|
|Frazioni||Old frazioni have been replaced by five zones: Croce, Centro (or Garibaldi), Ceretolo, San Biagio, Tizzano Eremo|
|• Mayor||Massimo Bosso (PD)|
|• Total||17.33 km2 (6.69 sq mi)|
|Elevation||61 m (200 ft)|
(31 May 2017)
|• Density||2,100/km2 (5,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Saint Martin of Tours|
|Saint day||11 November|
Casalecchio's name is derived from Casaliculum ("collection of little houses"), and from the presence of the Reno River. The site has archaeological treasures dating from the Paleolithic and Villanovan eras; Celtic and Etruscan remains have also been found. This is the site of the Celtic city of Casalecchio, one of the few exclusively Celtic settlements of Northern Italy or Cisalpine Gaul. It likely belonged to the Celtic tribe of the Boii, who settled this area around 400 BC.
On 6 December 1990, an MB-326 military jet of the Italian Air Force crashed into the Gaetano Salvemini Technical Institute, a high school, killing twelve students and injuring 88 other students and staff. The aircraft had been abandoned minutes earlier by its pilot following an on-board fire.
Casalecchio di Reno is twinned with:
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Population data from Istat
- "Jet Hits a School in Italy, Killing 12". The New York Times. Associated Press. 7 December 1990. Retrieved 19 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Home page Archived 2013-02-10 at the Wayback Machine. Coop. Retrieved on 29 January 2011. "Via del Lavoro 6/8 40033 Casalecchio di Reno BO."
- "Partner cities". Archived from the original on 2014-08-06. Retrieved 1 May 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Casalecchio di Reno.|
- Official website (in Italian)