Cas Mudde (born 3 June 1967) is a Dutch political scientist who focuses on political extremism and populism in Europe and the United States. His research includes the areas of political parties, extremism, democracy, civil society and European politics.
|Awards||Stein Rokkan Prize for Comparative Social Science Research|
|Institutions||University of Georgia's School of Public and International Affairs|
From 1999 to 2002 he was Assistant Professor at the University of Edinburgh, and from 2002 to 2010 he was Assistant and later Associate Professor at the University of Antwerp in Belgium. Since 2010, he has been teaching a first year seminar on the Radical Right movement in Europe at DePauw University. He is Associate Professor of Political Science at University of Georgia's School of Public and International Affairs. He is also adjunct professor at Center for Research on Extremism (C-REX) at the University of Oslo.
He is the co-founder and convener of the ECPR (European Consortium for Political Research) Standing Group on Extremism & Democracy. He is a board member of the IPSA (International Political Science Association) Committee on Concepts and Methods and serves on the editorial boards of academic journals such as Acta Politica, Democracy and Security, Patterns of Prejudice, Politics in Central Europe, and The Journal of Politics.
Mudde is an author of several books and articles. He is the younger brother of the former rightist Tim Mudde. In the preface to The Ideology of the Extreme Right, he thanks him for the respect they still have for each other despite "differences of opinion".
In 2008 Mudde was awarded the Stein Rokkan Prize for Comparative Social Science Research.
- Mudde, Cas (2002). The ideology of the extreme right. Manchester New York New York: Manchester University Press. ISBN 9781847790118.
- Mudde, Cas; Eatwell, Roger (2004). Western democracies and the new extreme right challenge. London New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415369718.
- Mudde, Cas (2005). Racist extremism in Central and Eastern Europe. London New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415355940.
- Mudde, Cas (2007). Populist radical right parties in Europe. Cambridge, UK New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780511341434. (View Table of contents, Introduction, and Index.)
- Mudde, Cas; Kaltwasser, Cristóbal Rovira (2017). Populism: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780190234874.
- Mudde, Cas (January 2004). "The populist Zeitgeist". Government and Opposition. 39 (4): 541–563. doi:10.1111/j.1477-7053.2004.00135.x. Online.
- Mudde, Cas; March, Luke (April 2005). "What's left of the radical left? The European radical left after 1989: decline and mutation". Comparative European Politics. 3 (1): 23–49. doi:10.1057/palgrave.cep.6110052.
- Mudde, Cas; De Lange, Sarah L. (December 2005). "Political extremism in Europe". European Political Science. 4 (4): 476–488. doi:10.1057/palgrave.eps.2210056.
- Mudde, Cas (November 2010). "The populist radical right: a pathological normalcy". West European Politics. 33 (6): 1167–1186. doi:10.1080/01402382.2010.508901. hdl:2043/6127.
- Mudde, Cas; Ambrose, Emma (June 2015). "Canadian Multiculturalism and the Absence of the Far Right". Nationalism and Ethnic Politics. 21 (2): 213–236. doi:10.1080/13537113.2015.1032033.
- "Cas Mudde". University of Georgia. Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- Bio Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Cas Mudde
- "Home - C-REX - Center for Research on Extremism". www.sv.uio.no. Retrieved 2019-10-10.
- Rottenberg, Hella (20 November 1997). "Angst voor het spookbeeld". De Volkskrant (in Dutch). Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Mudde, C. (2003).The Ideology of the Extreme Right, p.IX.