Carrier Air Wing Two
|Carrier Air Wing Two|
|Active||1 May 1945 - Present|
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Navy|
|Type||Carrier Air Wing|
|Garrison/HQ||Naval Air Station Lemoore|
|Motto(s)||"For Liberty, We Fight"|
|Decorations||Navy Unit Commendation|
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Meritorious Unit Commendation
|Battle honours||Korean War|
Iranian Hostage Crisis
Operation Southern Watch
Operation Iraqi Freedom
|CAPT Gregory Newkirk|
CVW-2 consists of 9 Squadrons
|VFA-2||Strike Fighter Squadron 2||Bounty Hunters||F/A-18F Super Hornet|
|VFA-113||Strike Fighter Squadron 113||Stingers||F/A-18E Super Hornet|
|VFA-147||Strike Fighter Squadron 147||Argonauts||F-35C Lightning II|
|VFA-192||Strike Fighter Squadron 192||Golden Dragons||F/A-18E Super Hornet|
|VAW-113||Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 113||Black Eagles||E-2C Hawkeye|
|VAQ-136||Electronic Attack Squadron 136||Gauntlets||EA-18G Growler|
|VRC-30||Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 30 Det. 2||Providers||C-2A Greyhound|
|HSC-4||Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 4||Black Knights||MH-60S Seahawk|
|HSM-78||Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 78||Blue Hawks||MH-60R Seahawk|
During its 2004-2005 deployment, Carrier Air Wing Two executed 4400 fixed-wing sorties for a total of 7588 flight hours, as well as 1518 rotary-wing sorties for a total of 4401 flight hours. The air wing also completed 4455 flight deck landings (traps) while also flying 1737 humanitarian relief missions in support of Operation Unified Assistance between 26 December 2004 and 3 February 2005.
During its 2006 deployment, Carrier Air Wing Two participated in three major exercises (i.e., Foal Eagle 06, Valiant Shield 06, RIMPAC 06), and its aircraft flew 7,871 sorties, with a total of 7,578 catapult launches from the flight deck of the Abraham Lincoln. Between 24–31 March 2006, during Foal Eagle 2006 exercises, strike squadrons VFA-2, VFA-34, VFA-137, and VFA-151 from Carrier Air Wing Two teamed with U.S. Air Force aircraft from the 18th Wing based at Kadena Air Base to provide combat air patrols and coordinated bombing runs via the exercise's Combined Air Operations Center.
During its 2008 deployment, Carrier Air Wing Two flew approximately 7,100 sorties, totaling more than 22,000 flight hours, which included 2,307 combat sorties that dropped 255,963 pounds (116,102,863.8 kg) of ordnance in support of Operation Enduring Freedom - Afghanistan (OEF-A) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) as a part of the U.S. Fifth Fleet.
When Abraham Lincoln began its Refueling and Complex Overhaul in 2013, CVW-2 was reassigned to USS Ronald Reagan (CVN-76). It made only a short deployment aboard Ronald Reagan during exercise RIMPAC between June and August 2014, before the carrier was stationed in Japan. CVW-2 then accompanied USS George Washington (CVN-73) for her voyage around South America from September to December 2015.
On 5 January 2018, CVW-2 left San Diego aboard Carl Vinson for another scheduled deployment to the Western Pacific. Carl Vinson returned to San Diego on 12 April 2018.
- "Carrier Air Wing Composition" (PDF). US Navy. Tailhook Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 February 2007. Retrieved 29 December 2006.
- | https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2019-03-01/f-35c-achieves-ioc-singapore-details-initial-f-35-buy
- "USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72): 2004 Operations". Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. Navy Department, Naval History and Heritage Command. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- John M. Daniels (2004). "2004 Command History: USS Abraham Lincoln CVN-72" (PDF). Naval History & Heritage Command. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 January 2012. Retrieved 24 December 2010.
- Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class (SW) Joaquin Juatai, USN (8 August 2006). "Abraham Lincoln Wraps Up Deployment 2006". NNS060808-07. USS Abraham Lincoln Public Affairs. Retrieved 24 December 2010.
- Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Bruce McVicar, USN (11 August 2006). "Naval Station Everett Celebrates Return of Ships". NNS060811-07. Naval Station Everett Public Affairs. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- Photographer's Mate 3rd Class (AW) M. Jeremie Yoder, USN (27 March 2006). "Lincoln Wraps Up Successful Exercise, Heads for Port". NNS060406-15. Abraham Lincoln Public Affairs. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Brandon C. Wilson and Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Geoffrey Lewis (15 October 2008). "USS Abraham Lincoln Returns Home After Successful Deployment to 5th, 7th Fleets". NNS081015-01. USS Abraham Lincoln Public Affairs. Retrieved 27 December 2010.
- "CVW-2 (NE)". CVW-2 (NE): 1963 - present. GoNavy.jp. 3 February 2017. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) Public Affairs (5 January 2017). "Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group Begins Western Pacific Deployment". NNS170105-04. USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) Public Affairs. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- Carrier Strike Group 1 Public Affairs (5 January 2018). "Carl Vinson Strike Group Departs for Deployment to Western Pacific". NNS180105-11. Carrier Strike Group 1 Public Affairs. Retrieved 6 January 2017.
-  (official site)