Carole Pateman in 2015
|Born||11 December 1940|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford|
|Known for||Criticism of liberal democracy|
|Awards||Johan Skytte Prize in Political Science|
|Institutions||University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA)|
Pateman was born in Sussex, England and has had an international career, living in four continents and teaching and doing research in three. Educated at a grammar school, she left at age 16. She entered Ruskin College, Oxford in 1963, attended Lady Margaret Hall, and became lecturer in political theory at the University of Sydney in 1972.
She earned a DPhil at the University of Oxford. Since 1990, Professor Pateman has taught in the Department of Political Science at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA), where she is now Distinguished Professor Emeritus. Professor Pateman served as (the first woman) President of the International Political Science Association (1991–94). In 2007, she was named a Fellow of the British Academy. She served as President of the American Political Science Association in 2010–11. She is also an Honorary Professor for the Cardiff University School of European Studies.
She gave the Faculty Research Lecture at UCLA in 2001, and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the British Academy and the UK Academy of Social Sciences. She holds honorary degrees from the Australia National University, the National University of Ireland, and Helsinki University. In 2012 she was awarded the Johan Skytte Prize in Political Science.
Pateman was a Guggenheim Fellow 1993-94.
Since 1994 Pateman has been a Member of the International Advisory Board of the Swedish Collegium for Advanced Study in the Social Sciences.
In 2013, she earned the Special Recognition Award by the UK Political Studies Association.
The Australian Political Science Association (APSA) awards the Carole Pateman prize biennially for the best book published on the topic of gender and politics.
- Pateman, Carole (1970). Participation and democratic theory. Cambridge England: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521290043.
- Pateman, Carole (1979). The problem of political obligation: a critical analysis of liberal theory. Chichester New York: Wiley. ISBN 9780471996996.
- Pateman, Carole (1985). The problem of political obligation: a critique of liberal theory. Cambridge: Polity in association with Blackwell. ISBN 9780745601359.
- Pateman, Carole (1988). The sexual contract. Cambridge: Polity Press. ISBN 9780745604329.
- Pateman, Carole (1989). The disorder of women: democracy, feminism, and political theory. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press. ISBN 9780804717656.
- Pateman, Carole; Dowding, Keith; Goodin, Robert E. (2004). Justice and democracy: essays for Brian Barry. Cambridge New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521836951.
- Pateman, Carole; Mills, Charles W. (2007). Contract and domination. Cambridge: Polity Press. ISBN 9780745640044.
- Pateman, Carole; Sawer, Marian (1980). Australasian Political Studies Association directory of women political scientists 1980. Canberra: Australasian Political Studies Association. OCLC 220934996.
- Pateman, Carole; Goodnow, Jacqueline (1985). Women, social science and public policy. Sydney London: Allen & Unwin. ISBN 9780868616858.
- Pateman, Carole; Shanley, Mary Lyndon (1991). Feminist interpretations and political theory. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press. ISBN 9780271007427.
- Pateman, Carole; Murray, Matthew C. (2012). Basic income worldwide horizons of reform. Houndmills, Basingstoke New York, New York: Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 9780230285422.
- Pateman, Carole (2014). Feminist challenges: social and political theory (2nd ed.). London: Routledge. ISBN 9781138000681. Original printed in 1986.
Chapters in booksEdit
- Pateman, Carole (2003), "Freedom and democratization: why basic income is preferred to basic capital", in Dowding, Keith; de Wispelaere, Jurgen; White, Stuart, The ethics of stakeholding, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 130–148, ISBN 9781403905802.
- Pateman, Carole (guest editor) (1983). "Introduction". Australian Journal of Political Science. 18 (2): 1–2. doi:10.1080/00323268308401882.
- Pateman, Carole (March 2012). "Participatory Democracy Revisited". Perspectives on Politics. 10 (1): 7–19. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.646.7316. doi:10.1017/S1537592711004877.
- The Equivalent of the Right to Land, Life, and Liberty? Democracy and the Idea of a Basic Income (Link)
- Carole Pateman Papers - Pembroke Center Archives, Brown University
- John Lechte (1994). Fifty Key Contemporary Thinkers: From Structuralism to Postmodernity. Routledge. ISBN 978-0415074087.
- Carole Pateman faculty page at UCLA
- "Carole Pateman winner of the Johan Skytte Prize 2012". Uppsala universitet, MedfarmDoIT. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- Fellows elected to the Learned Society of Wales. British Academy. Published 24 April 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
- Professor Carole Pateman. Learned Society of Wales. Retrieved 1 July 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carole Pateman.|
- On, Steve (2012), "A conversation with Carole Pateman: reflections on democratic participation, The Sexual Contract, and power structures.", in Browning, Gary; Dimova-Cookson, Maria; Prokhovnik, Raia, Dialogues with contemporary political theorists, Houndsmill, Basingstoke, Hampshire New York: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 139–154, ISBN 9780230303058