St Mary's Church
|Population||1,934 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||155 mi (249 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Holy Family Catholic High School is a secondary school located in the village. Carlton Primary School (was called Carlton-in-Snaith Community Primary school prior to 2020) is also located in the village.
The unusually named Odddfellows Arms public house is in the village. During the 1980s, a mistake by a signwriter resulted in the incorrect spelling of the name Oddfellows. In 1994, the brewery tried to correct this, only to face a backlash by the locals. The pub has since closed, been listed for housing and then refurbished and re-opened with the unusual name still above the door. Until 1850 the Odddfellows was known as the Red Lion and is believed to have served the public since 1750.
Carlton Towers is a Grade I listed Victorian stately home located in Carlton. The house was designed by Edward Welby Pugin and stands in a 250-acre estate. The house is the Yorkshire home of the 18th Duke of Norfolk but, since 1991, has been lived in, and run, by Lord Gerald Fitzalan-Howard and his family. Lord Gerald is a younger brother of the current Duke of Norfolk. Although the family still live in part of the house, it is now largely used for wedding receptions and similar events. The house in now used for weddings, events and has appeared on television and in magazines.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Carlton Parish (1170217391)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 13 March 2018.
- UK Census (2001). "Local Area Report – Carlton Parish (1543510663)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "History of Carlton, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description". www.visionofbritain.org.uk. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- "Holy Family - Home". holyfamilycarlton.org. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Home - Carlton Primary School". www.carlton-in-snaith.n-yorks.sch.uk. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- Stead, Mark (11 March 2014). "The Odddfellows Arms at Carlton near Selby". Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "This very oddd pub story just got even odder". York Press. 29 January 2016. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "Odddfellows Pub, Restaurant and Hotel, Carlton - Home Page- Oddfellows". www.odddfellows.co.uk. Retrieved 21 November 2019.
- "Carlton Towers". carltontowers.co.uk. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "Episode 22, Series 14, MasterChef - BBC One". BBC. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- Media related to Carlton at Wikimedia Commons
- Carlton in the Domesday Book
- Holy Family RC High School
|This Selby location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|