Carleton-in-Craven is a small village and civil parish in the Craven district of North Yorkshire, England, and situated just over 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south-west from the market town of Skipton. The village had a population of 1,118 at the 2011 Census, and contains a primary school, church, post office, newsagents & village store, public house, a social club, and a pharmacy.
Beck Side, Carleton-in-Craven
|Population||1,118 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||185 mi (298 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Geographically, the village of Carleton-in-Craven is the most northern village in the South Pennines.
The spelling of the village name, with an 'e', can be seen in a record, dated 1440, mentioning Robert Mosele, a husbandman of the village, who was accused by Robert Blakey of carrying away some of the latter's goods.
Carleton Mill dates to 1861, when it was built for spinning cotton; the mill later housed a mail-order business throughout the 1930s. During the Second World War the Rover company used the building to produce aircraft parts. Shortly after the war, the mill returned to its original use as a textile factory and later produced carpets, eventually closing in November 1999. In 2005 it was converted to luxury apartments by Novo Homes, with 51 apartments in the mill and 26 houses constructed within the grounds.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Carleton Parish (1170216734)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- As late as 1908, the West Riding County Council spelt Carlton without the "e" on the engraved stone plaque incorporated into the magnificent re-built stone bridge over the River Aire on the road to Skipton."CP 40 / 717", Plea Rolls of the Court of Common Pleas; first entry, University of Houston. Retrieved 5 April 2015
- "Taking The Aire" (PDF). Timothy Taylor. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Carleton-in-Craven". Craven District Council. 2012. p. 6. Archived from the original on 8 December 2015. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Mill Conversion is Taking Shape". Craven Herald. 13 June 2003. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- "Mill scheme finally wins approval". Craven Herald & Pioneer. 5 April 2001. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Media related to Carleton-in-Craven at Wikimedia Commons
- "Carleton in Craven, North Yorkshire", Carletonweb.co.uk, UK Individual registrant self-published web site
- Craven Website
- Carleton Endowed CE (VA) Primary School website
Parish Council Website carletonincravenpc.org.uk