Carl Friedrich Gauss Prize
The Carl Friedrich Gauss Prize for Applications of Mathematics is a mathematics award, granted jointly by the International Mathematical Union and the German Mathematical Society for "outstanding mathematical contributions that have found significant applications outside of mathematics". The award receives its name from the German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss. With its premiere in 2006, it is to be awarded every fourth year, at the International Congress of Mathematicians.
The official announcement of the prize took place on 30 April 2002, the 225th anniversary of the birth of Gauss. The prize was developed specifically to give recognition to mathematicians; while mathematicians influence the world outside of their field, their studies are often not recognized. The prize aims to honour those who have made contributions and effects in the fields of business, technology, or even day-to-day life.
|2006||Kiyoshi Itô||"For laying the foundations of the theory of Stochastic Differential Equations and Stochastic Analysis."|
|2010||Yves Meyer||"For fundamental contributions to number theory, operator theory and harmonic analysis, and his pivotal role in the development of wavelets and multiresolution analysis."|
|2014||Stanley Osher||"For his influential contributions to several fields in applied mathematics and for his far-ranging inventions that have changed our conception of physical, perceptual, and mathematical concepts, giving us new tools to apprehend the world."|
|2018||David L. Donoho||"For his fundamental contributions to the mathematical, statistical and computational analysis of important problems in signal processing."|
- "Carl Friedrich Gauss Prize for Applications of Mathematics 2006". mathunion.org. International Mathematical Union.
- "Dr. Kiyoshi Ito receives Gauss Prize". Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- "2010 Gauss Prize Awarded" (PDF). Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- "2014 Gauss Prize Awarded" (PDF). Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- "Carl Friedrich Gauss Prize 2018". mathunion.org. International Mathematical Union.
- "Statutes of the IMU Carl Friedrich Gauss Prize for Applications of Mathematics". Archived from the original on 2008-12-27. Retrieved 2009-02-05.
- "New Prize in Science promotes Mathematics as a Key Technology" (Press release). International Mathematical Union. 2002-04-30. Archived from the original on 2009-05-30. Retrieved 2009-02-05.