Bernhard von Cotta
Carl Bernhard von Cotta, known as Bernhard von Cotta (24 October 1808 – 14 September 1879), was a German geologist.
He was born in a forester's lodge at Kleine Zillbach, Meiningen, near Eisenach, the son of Heinrich von Cotta, founder of the Tharandt Forestry Academy near Dresden. He was educated at the Bergakademie Freiberg and the University of Heidelberg, as well as at his father's forestry academy. Botany at first attracted him and he was one of the earliest to use the microscope in determining the structure of fossil plants. Later on he gave his attention to geology, to the study of ore-deposits, of rocks and metamorphism. He studied deposits of minerals in the Austrian Alps, Hungary, and Romania. He also examined soils and studied their effects on the geography and history of Germany.
From 1842 to 1874 he held the professorship of geology in the Bergakademie and was regarded as an excellent teacher. He published many important works on geology, including Rocks Classified and Described: a Treatise on Lithology (translated by Philip Henry Lawrence, 1866), one of the first comprehensive works on the subject issued in the English language, which gave great impetus to the study of rocks in Britain.
He died at Freiberg, Saxony.
His daughter, Alice von Cotta, born in 1842, worked at Bedford College, London, and later as a school principal at the women's school Victoria-Lyceum in Berlin.
- Die Dendrolithen, 1832
- Geognostische Karte von Sachsen, 1832–1845
- Geognostische Wanderungen, Bd. 1–2, 1836–1838
- Anleitung zum Studium der Geologie und Geognosie, 1839
- Geognostische Karte von Thüringen, 1843–1848
- Gangstudien, Bd. 1–4, 1850–1862
- Briefe über Humboldts Kosmos, 1850–1860
- Gesteinslehre, Bd. 1–2, 1855, 1866 (englisch)
- Lehre von den Flözformationen, 1856
- Deutschlands Boden, sein geologischer Bau und dessen Einwirkung auf das Leben des Menschen, Bd. 1–2, 1854 u. 1858
- Lehre von den Erzlagerstätten, Bd.1–2, 1859–1861, 1870 (englisch)
- Katechismus der Geologie, 1861
- Geologie der Gegenwart, 1865
- Der Altai, sein geologischer Bau und seine Erzlagerstätten, 1871
- Geologische Bilder, 1876
- | This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Cotta, Bernhard von". Encyclopædia Britannica. 7 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 251.
- Bernhard von Cotta, tr. Philip Henry Lawrence (1866). Rocks Classified and Described. Longmans, Green, and Co. Google Book Search. Retrieved 5 July 2008.
- Glick, Thomas F. (1988). The Comparative Reception of Darwinism. University of Chicago Press. p. 83. ISBN 0-226-29977-5