Cardiff University Students' Union
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Get Involved, Love Cardiff|
|Location||Park Place, Cardiff|
|President||Fadhilla Al Dhahouri|
|Affiliations||National Union of Students Wales|
Cardiff University Students' Union supports over 200 student societies and 60 sports clubs with more than 10,000 members.
The Students' Union is also the recognised voice of students at Cardiff University, joining students in campaigning about the issues important to them. The trading subsidiary of CUSU, Cardiff Union Services Limited, manages a purpose built facility in the centre of Cardiff and operates cafes, shops, bars and events that help fund CUSU’s charitable activities. CUSU is based on Park Place and at the Heath Park campus, employing over 100 permanent staff and 300 student staff.
Leadership of the Students' UnionEdit
Students' Union electionsEdit
The Students' Union is a democratic membership organisation. The Students' Union is led by groups such as Elected Officers, Campaign Officers, Student Senate, Scrutiny Committee and NUS delegates.
Elections for these positions are held twice each year:
- By-Elections are held in October for Student Senate, Scrutiny Committee and NUS Delegates as well as any positions that were not filled in the February Main Elections
- Main Elections are held in February for Elected Officer and Campaign Officer Positions.
Full-time elected officers – A group of 7 full-time paid individuals who each have areas of responsibility, from being the Students' Union President to Societies and Sports, Welfare and Education, and of course Heath Park and Postgraduate students. These officers are elected for a year, and either take a year out of University to do the job or do it after they graduate.
Part-time campaign officers – These are 10 student volunteers who campaign on areas that matter to you alongside their studies. This includes representing student groups such as Women, LGBT+ (Open Place and Women's Place), Black and Ethnic Minorities, Welsh Language, International Students, Ethics and the Environment, Disability, Mental Health and Mature students.
Specific leadership positionsEdit
Full-time elected officer positionsEdit
The Elected Officer positions consist of a President and six Vice-presidents.
- Students' Union President – The President leads the Elected Officer team and the Students' Union as a whole and acts as the key link to the University's Vice-Chancellor, Pro Vice-Chancellors, Council and Senate, as well as the NUS and other key stakeholders.
- Vice President Education – The VP Education represents all students on academic issues to the University. They work with the Student Voice team and student academic representatives to review feedback and identify what changes students want. They lobbies and negotiate with Cardiff University to implement any changes that need to be made whether it’s regarding assessment and feedback or developing study spaces.
- Vice President Welfare & Campaigns  – The VP Welfare & Campaigns works as a direct liaison between the Union and the University on all non-academic issues in the best interests of students and represents students' welfare needs to the University.
- Vice President Postgraduate Students – The VP Postgraduate Students represents all postgrad students on the issues and policies that affect them. This is a brand new Officer role for 2015–16, working towards building a postgrad community at Cardiff University.
- Vice President Heath Park Campus – The VP Heath Park campus works to improve the Heath campus student experience and the services at the Heath Park Site. The VP Heath Park campus represents Heath campus students on everything and anything whether that may be academic issues or getting involved in clubs and societies.
- Vice President Sports and Athletic Union President – The Vice President Sport and Athletic Union President champions sport within the University and local community. This position prepresents students who play both competitive and participation sports to both the University and the Union.
- Vice President Societies & Volunteering  – This position champions societies and student-led activity within the Union, University and community and is responsible for allocating budgets and tiers as well as supporting and promoting Student Led Services/Campaign Associations.
Part-time elected officers include the Ethical and Environmental Officer, LGBT+ Officer (Open), LGBT+ Officer (Women's), International Students Officer, Mature Students Officer, Students with Disabilities Officer, Women's Officer, Welsh Language Officer and Black, Minority Ethnics Officer and Mental Health Officer.
Notable former elected officersEdit
Notable past presidents include:
Locations and facilitiesEdit
The Students’ Union at the Heath is situated in the IV Lounge in the Neuadd Meirionnydd building. It offers services such as Jobshop, Student Advice, Skills Development Services and many more. The second floor of the Students’ Union currently houses the main reception, event function space and the recently developed Centre for Skills, Enterprise and Volunteering, as well as newly developed Food outlets, the Taf and the nightclub, Y Plas.
The union's pub is called "The Taf". This is commonly mistaken to be a reference to the River Taff which runs through Cardiff, but it is actually a contraction of "Tafarn", the Welsh word for "pub". The Union has an in-house nightclub, Y Plas, which holds events throughout the week. Formerly named Solus, the Nightclub was renamed as a result of a student vote after a redevelopment of the second floor and nightclub was announced. The Union can link both the Taf bar and Y Plas with the Great hall to make a "superclub" of 4000, making it the biggest nightclub in Cardiff, and also one of the largest in Wales. The club was renamed Y Plas in 2014, after the refurbishments.
The third floor of the Students' Union is where students can meet the elected officer team, join a sports club or society, get involved in Student Voice and democratic processes. A counselling service, known as Student Advice which helps with all manner of issues that students can face.
The Union's Great Hall has attracted popular bands and musicians since the 1970s. The Great Hall also serves as one of Cardiff University's exam venues, and has recently been adapted for use as a lecture theatre by the university during term time. It also hosts the freshers fayres for the beginning of term to join in volunteering, sports clubs and societies.
The main building also houses the offices of student media including the studios of Xpress Radio (which is broadcast throughout the union), the student newspaper Gair Rhydd (Welsh for 'Free Word'), Quench Magazine, and the newly developed Cardiff Union TV (CUTV).
The Athletic Union is the body that supports all sporting activity at Cardiff University Students' Union. It supports students that run over 60 sports clubs including individual and team sports, outdoor and water sports and martial arts. This is built on the ethos that sport plays a significant role in the student experience, playing a role in helping to build social and support groups, keeping students active, and most importantly, offering a valuable opportunity for individuals to develop themselves.
The Guild of Societies contains over 200 student groups. The Guild of Societies is the umbrella organisation of every student led society at Cardiff University Students' Union, led overall by the VP Societies and the Societies Executive Committee. You must be a member of the Guild to join any societies.
- "Your Voice". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Governance & Policy". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "SU President". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "VP Education". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "VP Welfare". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "VP Postgraduate". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "VP Heath Park". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "VP Sports & AU President". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "VP Societies". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Heath Hub". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- http://www.cardiffstudents.com/news/article/6013/New-Year-New-Look/ major redevelopment
- "Help & Advice". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Athletic Union". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Societies". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Membership". www.cardiffstudents.com. Retrieved 11 December 2015.