Car colour popularity
The most popular car colours today are greyscale colours, with over 70% of cars produced globally being white, black, grey or silver. Red, blue and brown/beige cars range between 6% and 9% each, while all other colours amount to less than 5%.
The results of colour popularity surveys conducted by American paint manufacturers PPG Industries (PPG) and DuPont (DP) are shown in the table and chart below. Note that the results for silver and grey may be affected by discrepancies in how the companies classify these colours.
|Colour distribution (%)|
Financial impacts of colour choiceEdit
Silver is a popular colour for rental vehicles. Cars that are silver retain their value better than any other colour, reselling for around 10% more than white cars; this superior resale value has caused many UK police agencies to replace their standard white patrol cars with silver models.
Colour choice is subject to fluctuation and fashion, and historical trends shifted from dark neutral colours of early cars, through more vivid colours of 1950s and 1960s, back towards today's greyscale colours.
A 2013 survey in the United States found that men were 12% more likely to prefer a red car, while women were 9% more likely to prefer silver. The research suggested this may indicate that women are more likely to prefer practical cars, while men may be more likely to prefer fast and fun cars.
- "PPG announces annual automotive color popularity, trend data". PPG industries. 2012-10-10. Archived from the original on 2012-10-13. Retrieved 2014-12-02.
- "DuPont 2012 Global Automotive Color Popularity Report". DuPont. 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-12-29. Retrieved 2014-12-02.
- Erin Peterson. "Hottest Car Colors". Yahoo! Personal Finance. Archived from the original on 2008-04-17. Retrieved 2007-09-23.
- Sarah Whitten (2015-09-18). "Do drivers of red cars really pay more for auto insurance?". CNBC. Retrieved 2017-04-18.
- Roma Luciw (2011-08-12). "Are red cars more expensive to insure?". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2017-04-18.
- "A History of Automobiles and Colour before the Age of Chromophobia". www.autouniversum.wordpress.com. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- "Why Are Our Cars Painted Such Boring Colors?". www.slate.com. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- Jim Gorzelany. "Men See Red, Women Take A Shine To Silver When Car Shopping, Survey Says". Forbes. Retrieved 2014-12-02.