Capital punishment in Guatemala
Capital punishment is a legal penalty in Guatemala, and is carried out by lethal injection and, to a lesser extent, the firing squad. It is only in military codes of justice, and was abolished for civilian offences in October 2017.
As of April 2017, five executions had been carried out since 1983; all were broadcast live on television. The last executions took place on June 29, 2000, when kidnappers and murderers Amilcar Cetino Perez and Tomas Cerrate Hernandez were executed by lethal injection on live television.
From 2005-2012, the sentences of all 54 inmates condemned to death were commuted to life in prison. There are currently no inmates on death row in Guatemala.
Guatemala voted in favor of the UN Moratorium on the Death Penalty in 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016. The country abstained from voting in 2008.
In 2017, Guatemala abolished the death penalty for civil crimes. Currently, the death penalty can only be applied in times of war.
Executions since 1983Edit
|Executed person||Date of execution||Crime||Method||Under President|
|1||Pedro Castillo||September 13, 1996||kidnapping, rape and murder of a 4-year-old girl||firing squad||Álvaro Arzú|
|2||Roberto Giron||September 13, 1996||kidnapping, rape and murder of a 4-year-old girl||firing squad||Álvaro Arzú|
|3||Manuel Martinez Coronado||February 10, 1998||slaughtering seven members of a single family||lethal injection||Álvaro Arzú|
|4||Amilcar Cetino Perez||June 29, 2000||kidnapping and murder of businesswoman Isabel de Botra||lethal injection||Alfonso Portillo|
|5||Tomas Cerrate Hernandez||June 29, 2000||kidnapping and murder of businesswoman Isabel de Botra||lethal injection||Alfonso Portillo|
- Laws of Guatemala
- Execution chamber in Guatemala
- "The Death Penalty in Guatemala: On the road towards abolition" (Archive). International Federation for Human Rights.
- "Guatamala: [sic] First Ever Execution By Lethal Injection Carried Out - 1998". Associated Press.
- "Guatemala - Man executed by lethal injection". Associated Press.
- "Guatemala - Two men executed for rape and murder - 1996 ". Associated Press.
- "GUATEMALA: KIDNAPPERS KILLED BY LETHAL INJECTION". Associated Press.
- Inter Press Service | News and Views from the Global South
- HANDS OFF CAIN against death penalty in the world
- "Guatemala high court abolishes death penalty in civil cases". ABC News. October 26, 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-12-02. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
|This Guatemala-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a criminal law topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|