Cape Cod National Seashore
The Cape Cod National Seashore (CCNS), created on August 7, 1961 by President John F. Kennedy, encompasses 43,607 acres (68.1 sq mi; 176.5 km2) on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts. It includes ponds, woods and beachfront of the Atlantic coastal pine barrens ecoregion. The CCNS includes nearly 40 miles (64 km) of seashore along the Atlantic-facing eastern shore of Cape Cod, in the towns of Provincetown, Truro, Wellfleet, Eastham, Orleans and Chatham. It is administered by the National Park Service.
|Cape Cod National Seashore|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
|Location||Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA|
|Nearest city||Barnstable, Massachusetts|
|Area||43,607.14 acres (176.4718 km2)|
|Established||August 7, 1961|
|Visitors||4,426,750 (in 2014)|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
|Website||Cape Cod National Seashore|
Places of interestEdit
Notable sites encompassed by the CCNS include Marconi Station (site of the first two-way transatlantic radio transmission), the Highlands Center for the Arts (formerly the North Truro Air Force Station), the Dune Shacks of Peaked Hill Bars Historic District (a 1,950-acre historic district containing dune shacks and the dune environment), and the glacial erratic known as Doane Rock.
There are several paved bike trails:
- Nauset Bike Trail - Eastham
- Head of the Meadow Trail - Truro
- Province Lands Trails - Provincetown
- "Listing of acreage as of December 31, 2014". Land Resource Division, National Park Service. Retrieved 2015-08-26.
- "NPS Annual Recreation Visits Report". National Park Service. Retrieved 2015-08-26.
- "Bill signing - S. 857 Public Law 87-126, Cape Cod National Seashore Act, 11:47AM". John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
- "Cape Cod National Seashore Act - P.L. 87-126" (PDF). 75 Stat. 284 ~ Senate Bill 857. U.S. Government Printing Office.
- "Herring River Tidal Restoration Project". National Park Service. July 2011. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cape Cod National Seashore.|
- Cape Cod National Seashore. National Park Service website.
- Coastal Landforms and Processes at the Cape Cod National Seashore, Massachusetts: A Primer U.S. Geological Survey
- Park map showing roads, beaches, and trails. National Park Service map pdf.
- "The Penniman House: A Whaling Story". A National Park Service Teaching with Historic Places (TwHP) lesson plan.
- Official Website of Cape Cod Beaches. A community project for all Massachusetts beach information and their geocoordinates.
- Cape Cod National Seashore travel guide from Wikivoyage