Caolan Stephen Boyd-Munce (born 26 January 2000) is a professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Championship club Birmingham City. Before moving to England, he made one senior appearance for Glentoran in the NIFL Premiership. In international football, he has represented Northern Ireland from under-15 up to under-21 level.
|Full name||Caolan Stephen Boyd-Munce|
|Date of birth||26 January 2000|
|Place of birth||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|2018||→ Redditch United (loan)|
|Northern Ireland U15|
|Northern Ireland U16|
|Northern Ireland U17|
|Northern Ireland U19|
|2019–||Northern Ireland U21||1||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14:08, 7 August 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 14:08, 7 August 2019 (UTC)
Early life and club careerEdit
Boyd-Munce was born in Belfast where he attended De La Salle College. He was on the books of Glentoran as a youngster, and made a brief first-team appearance on 30 April 2016 as a 78th-minute substitute in an NIFL Premiership match against Crusaders.
After leaving school Boyd-Munce came to England where he took up a two-year scholarship with Birmingham City F.C.'s Academy in July 2016. Academy coach Steve Spooner described him as a "good technician [who] has a very good engine and displays the capabilities of a real box to box midfield player." He established himself in Birmingham's under-18 team, played for the under-23s, and was a member of the youth team that reached the semifinal of the 2017–18 FA Youth Cup, in which Chelsea beat Birmingham 7–0 on aggregate. He was not offered professional terms after his two years, instead accepting a third scholarship year.
In August 2018, Boyd-Munce spent a month on loan to Redditch United of the Southern League Premier Division South. According to senior development coach Richard Beale, he found it an eye-opening experience. Boyd-Munce went on to become a regular for Birmingham's development squad team the 2018–19 season, making 21 appearances as they finished as runners-up in the Professional Development League northern section and lost out to Leeds United on penalties for the overall title. He was offered a two-year deal in March 2019, and signed it in June.
Boyd-Munce made his competitive debut for Birmingham on 6 August 2019 in the EFL Cup first round. Manager Pep Clotet fielded an inexperienced team for the visit to Portsmouth, and Boyd-Munce came into the 3–0 defeat as a second-half substitute, replacing Jude Bellingham after 81 minutes.
Boyd-Munce has represented Northern Ireland at under-15, under-16, in the squad for the 2014–15 Victory Shield, under-17, playing in qualifiers for the 2017 European U17 Championships, under-19, playing in qualifiers for the following year's European U19 Championships, and most recently at under-21 level.
- As of match played 6 August 2019
|Club||Season||League||National Cup[a]||League Cup[b]||Other||Total|
|Redditch United (loan)||2018–19||Southern League
Premier Division Central
- "Caolan Boyd-Munce: Internationals". worldfootball.net. HeimSpiel Medien. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Caolan Boyd-Munce". Birmingham City F.C. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Northern Ireland in the Victory Shield (2001–2020)". Northern Ireland's Footballing Greats. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Glentoran 0–1 Crusaders". Glentoran F.C. 1 May 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "An introduction to the Academy new boys". Birmingham City F.C. 9 July 2016. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- Dick, Brian (5 April 2018). "How the Birmingham City players rated as Chelsea U18s race into first leg FA Youth Cup semi-final lead". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
"Report: Chelsea Under-18s 4 Blues Under-18s 0". Birmingham City F.C. 10 April 2018. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Professional deals for young Blues". Birmingham City F.C. 17 May 2018. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Deals for Blues scholars". Birmingham City F.C. 20 March 2019. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- Fullerton, Gareth (6 June 2019). "Northern Ireland teenager Caolan Boyd-Munce signs pro contract with Birmingham City". Belfast Live. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Report: Leeds United Under-23s 0 Blues Under-23s 0 – Leeds win 4–2 on penalties". Birmingham City F.C. 6 May 2019. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- Chapman, Joseph (6 August 2019). "Birmingham City player ratings: Jude Bellingham shines bright despite defeat". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 6 August 2019.
- "More international recognition for Academy". Glentoran F.C. 18 August 2014. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Ian Baraclough's Under-21s hit late winner to stun Mexico U22s in Spain". Irish Football Association. 25 March 2019. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Games played by Caolan Boyd-Munce in 2018/2019". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Games played by Caolan Boyd-Munce in 2019/2020". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 7 August 2019.