Cao Wenxuan (simplified Chinese: 曹文轩; traditional Chinese: 曹文軒; pinyin: Cáo Wénxuān; born January 1954) is a Chinese novelist, best known for his works of children's literature. Cao is the vice president of Beijing Writers Association. He is also a professor and doctoral tutor at Peking University. His novels have been translated into English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Korean.
|Born||January 1954 (age 63–64)
|Alma mater||Peking University|
|Notable works||The Grass House
|Notable awards||19th Golden Rooster Award for Best Writing
1999 The Grass House
1998 The Grass House
14th Tehran International Film Festival - the Golden Butterfly Prize
Hans Christian Andersen AwardEdit
In April 2016 Cao was announced as the winner of the Hans Christian Andersen Award for children's writing. The International Board on Books for Young People's jury, announcing the award, said Cao “writes beautifully about the complex lives of children facing great challenges. He is a deeply committed writer, whose own difficult childhood has been deeply influential on his writing in which there are no easy answers.” He received the award in Auckland, New Zealand, on 20 August 2016. His acceptance speech was titled “Literature: Another Form of Housebuilding” 《文学：另一种造屋》.
Cao's Dingding Dangdang (2012) series follows the life of two brothers with Downs Syndrome living in a small rural Chinese village. This series was selected as one of IBBY’s Outstanding Books for Young People with Disabilities 2015.
Novels the straw house
- 1985 The Old Walls (古老的围墙)
- 1991 Goats Do Not Eat Heaven Grass (山羊不吃天堂草)
- 1997 Red Tiles and Black Tiles (红瓦黑瓦)
- 1997 The Grass House (草房子)
- 1999 The Bird (根鸟)
- 2000 The Red Tile Roof (红瓦房)
- 2005 The Thin Rice (细米)
- 2005 Bronze and Sunflower (青铜葵花)
- 2005 The Gourd Ladle (天瓢)
- 2008 Dawang Tome: The Amber Tiles (大王书：黄琉璃)
- 2008 Dawang Tome: The Red Lantern (大王书：红纱灯)
- 2012 Dingding and Dangdang (丁丁当当，黑痴白痴)
- 2014 A Cool Bird Wawa 
- 2015 Firebrand (火印)
- 2016 Dragonfly Eyes (蜻蜓眼)
- 1983 A Cattle without Horns (没有角的牛)
- 1988 A Small House Buried in The Snow (埋在雪下的小屋)
- 1988 The Evening Has Come Down Upon The Ancestral Temple (暮色笼罩的祠堂)
- 1986 Mist Covered The Old Castle (云雾中的古堡)
- 1986 The Dumb Cattle (哑牛)
- 1989 The Blue Countryside (忧郁的田园)
- 1992 The Green Fence (绿色的栅栏)
- 1994 A City under The Water (水下有座城)
- 1994 The Red Calabash (红葫芦)
- 1996 The Rose Valley (蔷薇谷)
- 1997 Sanjiaodi (三角地)
- 2005 The Windmill (野风车)
- 2008 Gouyayu (狗牙雨)
- A Very Special Pigeon (一只叫凤的鸽子)
Picture books for children
- Summer in a Cotton Padded Jacket (穿棉袄的夏天)
- The Feather (羽毛), illustrated by Roger Mello English translation by Chloe Garcia Roberts
- Chrysanthemum Doll (菊花娃娃)
- Last Leopard (最后一只豹子)
- A Big Fish Swims East (一条大鱼向东游)
- Crazy Rooster (痴鸡)
- Bird Boat (鸟船)
- Flying Bird Nest (飞翔的鸟窝)
- Summer (translated by Yan Ding, illustrated by Yu Rong)
- Smoke (translated by Duncan Poupard, illustrated by Yu Rong)
- Crows (乌鸦)
Awards and CommendationsEdit
- Cao Wenxuan won the Hans Christian Andersen Award 2016.
- Goats Do Not Eat Heaven Grass (山羊不吃天堂草) - 3rd Song Qingling Literature Prize, National Five Top Project Award 
- The Grass House (草房子) - Bingxin Literature Prize, 4th National Book Award, National Five Top Project Award, 5th Song Qingling Literature Prize, 19th Golden Rooster Award for Best Writing (1999), Huabiao Award (1998), 14th Tehran International Film Festival - the Golden Butterfly Prize 
- Bronze and Sunflower (青铜葵花) - Bingxin Literature Prize, National Book Award, National Five Top Project Award. The English translation was a 2017 Kirkus Finalist, a New York Times Notable Children's Book of 2017, and has been nominated for YALSA's Best Fiction for Young Adults award, Center for the Study of Multicultural Children's Literature - Best Books of 2017. Helen Wang's English translation of Bronze and Sunflower earned her the 2017 Marsh Award for Children's Literature in Translation.)
- Dingding and Dangdang (丁丁当当) - selected as one of the 2015 IBBY Outstanding Books for Young People with Disabilities 
One of his works has been adapted for film:
- The Grass House (草房子) (directed by Xu Geng)
Two more of his works are being adapted for film: Bronze and Sunflower and Firebrand.
- 曹文轩好文章离不开折腾. GMW (in Chinese). 26 November 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- 文学大师曹文轩来兰与师生分享写作感悟. Sina (in Chinese). 25 November 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- Cao Wenxuan (2005-04-01). Qingtong Kuihua (in Chinese). Ifeng Publishing House. ISBN 978-7-5346-3336-2.
- Cao Wenxuan (2009-06-01). The Grass House (in Chinese). Jiangsu: Jiangsu Children and Youth Publishing House. ISBN 9787534618727.
- Cao Wenxuan (2008-05-01). Goats Do Not Eat Heaven Grass (in Chinese). Jiangsu: Ifeng Publishing House, Jiangsu Peoples' Publishing House. ISBN 9787214050625.
- "Cao Wenxuan [ China ]". Internationales literaturfestival berlin. 2006. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "2016 Hans Christian Anderson Awards". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- CCTV video (2-3 mins)
- helenwanglondon (14 October 2016). "Literature: Another Form of Housebuilding – Cao Wenxuan's acceptance speech". Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- Dingding and Dangdang, 1 Brothers. https://www.chunghwabook.com.hk/Public//files/upload/9789810988425.pdf
- Dingding and Dangdang, 2, Blind Goat.https://www.chunghwabook.com.hk/Public//files/upload/9789810988425.pdf
- English translation: Bronze and Sunflower, tr Helen Wang, Walker Books, London, 2015. ISBN 978-1406348460
- French translation: Bronze et Tournesol, tr Brigitte Guilbaud, Editions Philippe Picquier, 2010 ISBN 2809701512
- Review/feature: "Cao Wenxuan, children literature and…talent" by Bertrand Mialaret, 2010, mychinesebooks.com
- Italian translation: "Girasole", tr Paolo Magagnin.
- English translation: Legends of the Dawang Tome: The Amber Tiles, tr Nicholas Richards, Better Chinese, California, 2015. ISBN 978-1-60603-707-2
- "Dingding and Dangdang--CCPPG". Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "A Cool Bird Wawa--CCPPG". Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "A Very Special Pigeon", English translation by Helen Wang, published by the Writing Chinese project, University of Leeds, September 2015
- "A Feather--CCPPG". Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- Starred review in Kirkus, https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/cao-wenxuan/feather-wenxuan/
- "Crows, by Cao Wenxuan", English translation by Helen Wang, first published in Pathlight magazine, Sept 2015, then as Read Paper Republic no.10, Sept 2015.
- "IBBY Announces Winners of the 2016 Hans Christian Andersen Award". IBBY. 4 April 2016. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Introducing...The 2015 IBBY Outstanding Books for Young People with Disabilities!". Toronto Public Library. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Award winner's books get film adaptations". China Internet Information Center. 23 June 2016. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- Cao Wenxuan at Library of Congress Authorities, with 21 catalogue records
- "Little Sugarcoating in Cao Wenxuan’s Children’s Books" by Amy Qin, New York Times, 1 May 2016