Canva is a free graphic-design tool website, founded in 2012. It uses a drag-and-drop format and provides access to over a million photographs, graphics, and fonts. It is used by non-designers as well as professionals. The tools can be used for both web and print media design and graphics.
Type of site
The company was founded 1 January 2012 in Australia by Melanie Perkins, who had previously founded Fusion Books, Australia's largest yearbook publisher. Canva rapidly became popular, with more than 750,000 users in its first year. Social-media and technology expert Guy Kawasaki joined the company as chief evangelist in April 2014.
As of 2018, the company employs 200 people and has offices both in Australia and San Francisco. The firm has not yet made a profit. For the 2016-17 financial year, revenue increased from $AU 6.8m to $AU 23.5m, with losses of $3.3m. In January 2018 founder Melanie Perkins announced that during the most recent round of investor funding the company was valued at $US 1bn.
- Perez, Sarah. "Canva Launches A Graphic Design Platform Anyone Can Use". Tech Crunch. 26 August 2013.
- Lancet, Yaara; Zukerman, Erez. "Canva review: Free tool brings much-needed simplicity to design process". PC World. 7 January 2014.
- Swallow, Erica. "Canva Makes Great Design More Accessible". Forbes. 18 November 2013.
- Handley, Ann (2014). Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content. John Wiley & Sons. p. 275.
- Hoisington, Corinne (2014). Technology Now: Your Companion to SAM Computer Concepts. Cengage Learning. pp. 11–20.
- Stanton, Griffith, Kate, Hywel (2018). "The 30-year-old woman who designed a $1bn business". BBC News. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- Naughton, Julia (15 September 2016). "Canva CEO Melanie Perkins On Creating A Multi-Million Dollar Company". Huffington Post. Retrieved 14 January 2018.
- Canva: Overview Crunchbase. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- Campbell, Rebekah (15 September 2014). "The Problem With Going Into Business With a Friend". New York Times.
- Pankaj, Mishra. Canva Raises $3 Million To Make Design Accessible To Everyone Tech Crunch. 16 April 2014.
- Stanton, Kate; Griffith, Hywel (2018-01-09). "The 30-year-old woman who designed a $1bn business". BBC News. Retrieved 2018-01-09.
- Chau, David (2018-01-09). "Canva: Online design startup joins generally overvalued 'unicorn' club". ABC News. Retrieved 2018-01-09.