Canute Porse the Elder
Canute Porse the Elder
|Duke of Samsø|
Duke of Halland
Duke of Estonia
|Died||30 May 1330|
Haakon Knudsen Porse, Duke of Halland
Knud Knudsen Porse, Duke of Halland
|Father||Peder Knudsen Porse|
On 21 June 1327, Porse married Norwegian princess Ingeborg (1301–1361), daughter of King Haakon V of Norway (1270–1319). She was also Duchess of Södermanland by her first marriage to Swedish prince Eric Magnusson, Duke of Södermanland (1282–1318). Through her first marriage, she was the mother of King Magnus (IV & VII) of Sweden and Norway (1316–1374) and of Euphemia of Sweden (1317–1370) wife of Albert II, Duke of Mecklenburg. 
Before marrying Duchess Ingeborg, Porse had led the troops that put a military end to the reign of her brother-in-law King Birger in 1318. In 1322, without the approval of the Swedish government, he had joined forces with her to invade and try to conquer Scania (then in Denmark), which failed and caused trouble for them with that government. In the next year Ingeborg's valuable dowry of Axvall was besieged and in a peace settlement in 1326 (the year before she married Porse) she was given Dåvö in Munktorp instead.
Following his marriage to Ingeborg, Porse became duke of her extensive additional domains in Halland and Samsø. In 1329, her authority was extended to the Duchy of Estonia, but Canute Porse died the year after that. Porse and Ingeborg had two sons (below), who lost their Scanian hundreds of Bjäre and North Åsbo in 1341, but retained Halland till their deaths.
- Hacon Porse, Duke of Halland (died 1350)
- Canute Porse the Younger, Duke of Halland (died 1350)
- "Knud Porse". Den Store Danske, Gyldendal. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- "Peder Porse". Dansk Biografisk Leksikon. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- "Ingeborg (1301-1366)". Svenskt biografiskt lexikon. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Terje Bratberg. "Erik Magnusson". Norsk biografisk leksikon. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Ulf Sundberg in Medeltidens svenska krig Stockholm 1999 ISBN 9189080262 pp. 123, 133 & 135 (in Swedish)
- Erik Opsahl. "Knut Porse". Store norske leksikon. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Ulf Sundberg in Medeltidens svenska krig Stockholm 1999 ISBN 9189080262 p. 140 (in Swedish)
| Duke of South Halland
By right of his wife, Ingeborg of Norway
Ingeborg of Norway, Canute II and Haakon I
(as dukes of all Halland)
| Duke of Estonia
elected, with Ingeborg of Norway
Ingeborg of Norway