|Department for Education URN||116469 Tables|
|Head teacher||Harry Kutty|
|Age||11 to 16|
The school occupies the site that was previously home to Glen Eyre School. Cantell was formed as an amalgamation of this, Hampton Park Secondary School and Deanery Secondary School. In 1988 the school occupied an area of some 4 hectares (9.9 acres) and it was proposed that 0.1 hectares (0.25 acres) of this be sold off for housing.
The School gained specialist status for Mathematics and Information and Communication Technology, in September 2003 and was known as Cantell Mathematics and Computing College until 2013, when the school returned to the original name of Cantell School.
Cantell Secondary received an Ofsted inspection in Autumn 2004 and was put into the special measures category because it was failing to give its students an acceptable standard of education. As a result, it received visits from Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education to inspect its progress. The school came out of special measures after the June 2006 inspection.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The school achieved improvements in Ofsted judgements, and in 2013, achieved its best ever GCSE results (69% 5A*-C including English and Maths), and topped the City league tables for students' progress (Value Added). In the same year the school was judged Good.
In January 2006 there were 1,177 students at Cantell (532 boys and 645 girls), below the full capacity of 1,300.
The main school building was completed in 2009 at the cost of £15 million, replacing the previous East and West buildings which were constructed in the 1940s, and which were in a state of disrepair. The school's sports hall along with a small electricity sub-station were the only parts of the old school to survive the rebuild.
Notable former pupilsEdit
- "Cantell Ofsted Reports". reports.ofsted.gov.uk. Ofsted. 5 November 2010. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "FORMER HAMPTON PARK SECONDARY SCHOOL SOUTHAMPTON - PROPOSED COMMUNITY USE". Hampshire County Council Land Subcommittee. 24 March 1988. Archived from the original on 2 January 2005. Retrieved 6 August 2008.
- "CANTELL SCHOOL, SOUTHAMPTON - SURPLUS LAND". Hampshire County Council Schools Subcommittee. Archived from the original on 23 January 2005. Retrieved 6 August 2008.
- "School inspection report" (PDF). Ofsted: Cantell School. Ofsted. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- Edubase: Details for Cantell Maths and Computing College Archived 20 February 2007 at the Wayback Machine Accessed 24 March 2007