This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)
|Song by Herbie Hancock|
|from the album Empyrean Isles|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey|
|Label||Blue Note Records|
The jazz rap group Us3 sampled "Cantaloupe Island" in their song "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)", from their album Hand On the Torch (1993). "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)" was recorded as a demo a year before the group's first release. but in the US, "Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)" reached, No. 21 on the R&B Single Sales chart No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the group's only top 40 single. It did not chart initially in their native UK, but after its US success, it was subsequently re-released in UK where it peaked at No. 23. "Cantaloop" was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on March 25, 1994 for selling over 500,000 copies. This version of "Cantaloupe Island" has been made numerous appearances in other media.
In 2000, "Cantaloupe Island" placed at #19 in the Jazz24.org "Jazz 100: One Hundred Quintessential Jazz Songs".
- Ouellette, Dan (2005). "Hancock goes beyond Jazz". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.: 43. ISSN 0006-2510.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 641. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 599.
- "Official Charts Company: Us3". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2016-08-30.
- "The Jazz 100". jazz24.org. 2000.
- on YouTube